Treat yourself .... give your helmet the spring clean ... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Treat yourself .... give your helmet the spring clean ...

Lads .. gotta share this with you.

I was toying with the idea of getting a new helmet ... gotta new bike so it's got to be done ... until I found out an Arai Signet is about S$800 !!! .... and of course, I gotta have to best ...

So, I thought fark it, the old one is fine .. it just STINKS ...

So ... off to the Arai shop in little india, bought meself a new visor and cheak pads (foam and liner). Cost ... a piffly S$110. I'm going back to get the removable liner next month ....S$60 odd.

Then, to the shop opposite Joes ... that also has helmets .. paid $8 for a can of helmet cleaner and deodoriser ... it comes out like farkin shaving foam .. had it everywhere ... spray on, give er a quick wipe down .. inside and out .. then wipe off what you can ..

Result .... fark me !! ... me two year old helmet is shiny as, but more important .. I can't work out whats best .. me nice clear visor (you just don't realise how farked up the old one is till you put on a new one) ... or the nice clean smelling interior which fits snuggly again cause of the fresh cheek pads.

So yourselves a favour lads. In this heat, and the sweat we poor into these things ..... give it a treat .. you'll farkin love me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:14 PM

The Chiap Lee Brothers

The Helmet Shop in little India .... the one with the big Helmet outride the door you mean ? That would be Chiap Lee then .

And the Helmet Shop opposite Joe .... well surprise surprise, but yep you guessed it again, that would also be Chiap Lee .....

Plonker
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 10:11 PM

Re: Treat yourself .... give your helmet the spring clean ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Legend
Lads .. gotta share this with you.

I was toying with the idea of getting a new helmet ... gotta new bike so it's got to be done ... until I found out an Arai Signet is about S$800 !!! .... and of course, I gotta have to best ...

So, I thought fark it, the old one is fine .. it just STINKS ...

So ... off to the Arai shop in little india, bought meself a new visor and cheak pads (foam and liner). Cost ... a piffly S$110. I'm going back to get the removable liner next month ....S$60 odd.

Then, to the shop opposite Joes ... that also has helmets .. paid $8 for a can of helmet cleaner and deodoriser ... it comes out like farkin shaving foam .. had it everywhere ... spray on, give er a quick wipe down .. inside and out .. then wipe off what you can ..

Result .... fark me !! ... me two year old helmet is shiny as, but more important .. I can't work out whats best .. me nice clear visor (you just don't realise how farked up the old one is till you put on a new one) ... or the nice clean smelling interior which fits snuggly again cause of the fresh cheek pads.

So yourselves a favour lads. In this heat, and the sweat we poor into these things ..... give it a treat .. you'll farkin love me.
Plexus?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 11:25 PM

Someone once advised keeping the helmet in the freezer until you need it..
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by e240
Someone once advised keeping the helmet in the freezer until you need it..
Someone said, but do you do ???

If so, howzit?

Bullet
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of many—and solution to—all life's problems.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Silva Bullet

Someone said, but do you do ???

If so, howzit?

Do I? Nah, but I'm curious though...can somebody try?
I just leave my helmet out on the porch, rain or shine until, one day, the person next to me goes

Then I'll soak the whole helmet in a pail of soapy water and then rinse off...and let dry in the sun....

also

Try keeping scented lavander inside your helmet, keeps it fresh too although you tend to become really sleepy while riding
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Ok lads ... now what about gloved ??

I stuck mine in the freexer last night ... it works ... they were lovely and COLD this morning ... nice COLD mits on the way to work this morning ... oh, and it kills most of the smell ....

Anyone got any great ideas about washing the things ... of stuff to spray in them ...

And ... whats the thoughts about putting some small holes in the palms and fingers ..... asking for trouble if/ when I got down the road ... (Big Phil .... your input would be greatly appreciated ... all the others are cants !!)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 03:19 AM

Oh so now i'm the crash expert eh.

My advice....

Track.
Get the thickest cow hide you can lay your maulers on, that still give movement.
Dont even think about puttin holes anywhere.
Take a look at what happened to Ravi when he was wearing new Dainese mittens. Not funny at all ..ask Tweety he was there.

Town.
You could get them there special kevlar jobbies that breath. They look like chainmail but stand up well in the abrasion tests.

Helmet.... theres no such thing as too expensive safety gear..this works well with the girlies if nabbed lobbin cash on bike goodies ( again)

Freezer.
Well the only thing i think of is Cold air is dry air. so it might dry the sweat out. Plus if you use coffee grindings ( proper coffee mind) they absorb odour.
Prob is if you take it out and ride I reckon the visor's gonna mist up a good un!
Reckon the removable inner is the way to go.

Cheers

Last edited by bigphil; 11-07-2002 at 03:24 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:23 AM

Anyone got a freezer big enough for a one piece skin saver? Got a set here that really pen an' ink, Slasher keeps trying to tell me it's Tug that's made them honk not him - yeah right.....

Lavender??? Ok if you want to smell like an old dear's drawers I s'pose.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 06:29 PM

Re: Ok lads ... now what about gloved ??

Quote:
Originally posted by Legend
I stuck mine in the freexer last night ... it works ... they were lovely and COLD this morning ... nice COLD mits on the way to work this morning ... oh, and it kills most of the smell ....

Anyone got any great ideas about washing the things ... of stuff to spray in them ...

And ... whats the thoughts about putting some small holes in the palms and fingers ..... asking for trouble if/ when I got down the road ... (Big Phil .... your input would be greatly appreciated ... all the others are cants !!)
For washing,.I always use your regular conditioning shampoo. The alkaline based ones will do less harm to foam,.and take away most of the hair oil. Same thing as when you wash your hair,..it feels soft and plush,....(i mean the hair on your head, lest someone get the wrong idea with the reference)...but then again,..seems like Legend madman probably threw out all hair-care cosmetics after shaving off his crowning glory.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode