Race body work - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Race body work

Heh girls

Anybody else up for ordering after market body work.
I mean shaggin the original stuff costs a fortune and i'm sure you all want to keep the bike in top nick.
Ordering together would bring down the freight costs.....

Well the cheapest to date is an american company sellin complete set inc rear seat for US$ 600. ( all bikes)
I'm checkin some European suppliers as well

If any of you know better deals or have some good leads let me know.

After legend took such good care of the R1 i'd like to keep it that way. ( Apart from the tail piece which has rack damage!!!!!!!!)

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 07:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
if you race, get into the lp privateer program and score the new hot bodies plastic at their super sale price.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 03:58 PM

I'm keen ....

Keen as a keen thing ....

Tech 21 has some bits in stock for 01 and 02 Yamahas, not sure of the price but US$600 is about $1,000 singers ... you it'll be cheaper to import our own ??

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 04:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Quote:
Originally posted by FZR400Tony
if you race, get into the lp privateer program and score the new hot bodies plastic at their super sale price.
I agree with the LP/Hot bodies sale.

But if you're not a racer, I've had ok luck with Multi-tech. They take a little effort to get the finish just right, but you can get a complete race kit (without fender) for less than $600.

TK3 sells full kits for about $450 without fender, also, but rumor has it, the factory burned down. I have yet to verify this.

Last edited by DaDuck748; 11-06-2002 at 08:52 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 04:07 PM

Hold your horses big man!!..

Hey Phil,..

Before you drop your pants,..I have contacted Air-Tech in Califonia that have the complete race kit for '99 and '00 R1s. They will need a week to have them made. Headlight openings have to be cut out. Good time to install a REAL HID headlamp kit, as I can procure a set of 2 headlights at a reasonable price,..in the region of S$300 or so,.and then we can split the cost in half as you will need only 1,.b'coz it's so freakin' bright. Great for the nerve wrecking Malaysian ride up to Sepang. Small and compact conversion, only remove the OE bulbs and replace it with these.

The Race fairing are selling them at US$495 per kit. However, that excludes frieght.

The US$600 quoted, does it include freight?

Let's talk.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 04:20 PM

Have you used a set of Air-techs before?

Just FYI, because most racers I know, including myself will not use Air-tech bodywork.

Granted, Air-tech has an extrememly nice finish to it, due to the gelcoat they use as the surface layer. But gelcoat is brittle by nature and will shatter and spider-web upon impact. Also, Air-tech bodywork is VERY thin. When you go to order Dzus fasteners, they will ask you if you need regular length or Air-tech (short) fasteners. Just something to consider.

I only know one racer (one of my teammates) who is using Air-tech bodywork for his Ducati, and has crashed on the one set many times, but he has exceptional mechanical and fiberglass talent to put it back together.

If this is for street use, make sure the glass-makers can reinforce the high-risk/impact zones with kevlar.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 04:37 PM

Air-tech stuff

Well,..granted,.my only experience with Air-Tech is from a race solo seat I purchased from Yoshimura when I was riding the GSXR750L.

Finishing is as confirmed by you,.excellent. The primary approach by Air-Tech is that the products made by them are catered to racing,.which their selling point is to lighten the bike as much as possible.

Weight is a major obstacle in RACING. They are doing the best possible engineering feat in helping the racer lose weight. The weight-saving benefits displaces several other factors,.f which we are to consider if we usethe bike for daily transport.

The glass fibres are designed to crack, break on impact only to be repaired and re-used for the next race day. The GP/Superbike versions will disintegrate/contort on impact.

Well,..maybe after some crashes,..the glass fibre panels after each repair becomes stronger, thicker, and more durable as it gets binned. Just food for thought.

Just called them and got a quote for US$402 per kit if we buy 3 kits. Kit includes everyting except rear fenders only. Thickness is confirmed at 80 thou,.and all stress points are re-inforced and thickened. Sounsd like a good deal to me. Shipping is going to cost quite a bit, unless bigphil can make some arrangements. One Box per Size is going to be 40" X 22" X 23".

Anyone interested in this joint buying? we can split the cost of shipping...call me anytime. 96898903.

Last edited by m0j0; 11-05-2002 at 04:46 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 05:05 PM

How about these guys Armour Bodies? I've heard lots of good things about their products. A bit more expensive, but cheaper than Sharkskinz.

I was going to go with them for my 03 racebike, but they don't do anything for the Greens.

http://www.armourbodies.ca/
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 02:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i've found air-tech to be kinda heavy as well...

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 03:43 AM

Re: Air-tech stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by m0j0
Anyone interested in this joint buying? we can split the cost of shipping...call me anytime. 96898903.
Do they have a web-page that we could look at first. Would be interested, but need a look.

Bullet
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of many—and solution to—all life's problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode