Drunken Ramblings - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Drunken Ramblings

This post follows on from several Gunniess fuelled conversations on how we might move forward with track riding in Malaysia. Having done sweet FA to help Gareth and Graeme organise any of the events, but aware that considerable time and efforts they put in, I might have overestimated how much of a hassle this could be.

The Idea
Get together as a group and purchase a bulk order of 600cc track bikes (hopefully heavily discounted) directly from a sympathetic manufacturer and set up a Singapore Supersport series (with perhaps the odd guest rider from Australia getting involved - Dave?!). If Sepang are willing to support this (provide storage for bikes and allocate times for us to race either as a standalone event or in support of other events) the idea might be a starter, if not we are f**cked. I am sure we will be able to find a manufacturer willing to provide the hardware.

The Rationale
This would provide a level playing field for all riders. 600s are cheaper to buy and run than litre bikes and probably better for genuinely improving riding skills on the track. Cost seems to be becoming a key factor for some people and given the money spent on most of the bikes I can understand why. To me it seems crazy to risk writing-off a S$30-40K bike every time we go on the track - a track bike should be cheaper to repair if crashed and there is no problem of having to find transport back to Singapore etc. I also don't see why we couldn't rent out individual track bikes on a "you bend it you mend it" to track day riders who need a bike for the day. I for one know plenty of people who would love a day or so on Sepang and would fly from the UK to do so - that might go some way to funding the bike durng the season.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this to see if the idea has a basic level of support.

So how??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:17 AM

Fark Me !!!

Listen you CANT !!! ....

You take that idea of yours and stick is a farkin far up as it will go ... then stick it a little further ...

In fact .... you just name a time and place and I'll organise a few big brewsers from the Singapore Chapter of the "Hells Kitchen", and they'll stick your idea in a big 1.5 litre Coke bottle ...(check the adversiting lads!! ... I am now sponsored ..) .. and THEN stuff it up your PIA starfish !!!

Heaven help me if your idea floats. How exactly would I then continue to justify to the new wiffey the exorbidant expenses I am currently able to get away with ... all in the name of ensuring my 'manhood' remains pumped as I hurtle my monster bollocks round the track on my brand new piece of kit.

I would have no excuse for coming last. I would have no excuse to buy the latest Ohlins this, and Yoshi that ...

To all other club members in the same frame of mind, you are most welcome to come watch all this ... tickets are $15 for members, $20 guests, kids under 15 are free.

P.S .... on a slightly serious note (fark ..who ? ... me .. arf arf) ... I think the idea of 'standard' bikes would be a right farkin hoot ... but I have my doubts over certain members of our club who would CERTAINLY have their bikes secretly modified to get the extra edge !!! .... like those shifty 'Germans' ... Silver Screen Star and The Yellow Stain.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Well it wouldn't be any fun if NO modifications were allowed. Was thinking we could follow WSS rules but don't really care.

.....and I am sure we can bend the rules a little to allow you to purchase an aftermarket gravel plough and hedge trimmer for faster exit speeds!!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 07:22 AM

A few things

Jules,
I still think the idea has it's merits.
See if you can poll the guys and gauge the level of interest.
I'll start looking into the bike situ.
Unless we have some kind of a plan we don't even need to bother Sepang or PG yet.

I suspect that a lot of guys enjoy raggin round on their own bikes as much as anything else. ( This may change as crashes and the following repair costs become more frequent)

Lets see if we can come up with a layout of a way forward and then let the guys in the club respond. I think we're looking at 15 bikes to start with ( + 4 or 5 in spares)
There are various approaches to this as they'd only be track legal and therefore in theory much cheaper to run and repair.
We could even start with second hand bikes and/ or light road crash damaged ones.

I'll get back to you.

Cheers

Cheers
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 04:03 PM

Lightbulb 'Bing'

What about a bunch of low km grey imports from Japan??

Common over here as a cheap way of getting onto the track as the bikes are not road registrable.

and Jules you can count me in for any chance to hop over and tear it up with you loons

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 05:48 PM
Tug

Talking Naked

What about a naked bike series ? Fazers or ZZR1100's or old Z1's no nasty plastic to break and lots of hero points Could probaly get a deal on Fazers, would be better if they were road registered so we can race at all three circuits. I could probably arrange sponsors.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Not a bad idea - I have seen that the Honda Hornet series runs in the UK, and plenty of people on other forums seem to rave about racing Suzuki's SV650 which is also very light and agile for a budget bike. Good point about racing on other curcuits too.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:39 PM

Re: Fark Me !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Legend
... I think the idea of 'standard' bikes would be a right farkin hoot ... but I have my doubts over certain members of our club who would CERTAINLY have their bikes secretly modified to get the extra edge !!! .... like those shifty 'Germans' ... Silver Screen Star and The Yellow Stain.
What!!??!! Standard Bikes!!??!! Who has ever heard of a Standard Ducati??
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 07:33 PM

Nice to be back

My 2 cents...

Simple really - The exorbitant costs of repairing sport bikes is one of the factors that makes me dubious about taking out the 996 for a decent spanking.. As Jules says, the thought of buying, say, the mighty Gixxer at a way over the odds price and then managing to get it to do an endo seems silly, but then again, that is why we buy them.

A 600 series would be ideal, in my opinion, but once again the Duke would have to go, as I have neither Tug's money to spend, nor Legend's time on my hands to fettle...

I would love to get involved on a more serious basis, but at the moment, what with the missus up the duff, I am not going to be able to turn around and say - Sorry luv, need 10 grand to fix the Duke....

Anyone need a Spanna man?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 09:17 PM

Re: Nice to be back

Chumley,

Exactly my worry as well. Repair costs make the whole sport prohibitive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode