Marlboro Yamaha Sepang Setup - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Marlboro Yamaha Sepang Setup

MotoGP 2002 - Round 14 - Sepang - Yamaha - Set up report
October 10th, 2002

Because of its hairpins, and numerous hard braking areas, a fast lap and any hope of making a pass at the Sepang circuit comes down to braking stability and the bike's turn-in characteristics. Two such areas include the two long straights and hairpins that make up the final sequence of the 5542m layout. The task is made a little easier for the suspension technicians with the track surface boasting a high level of grip and few bumps, but it is a venue that also offers challenging high-speed sweepers - the first, diving down deep into a hollow before climbing back out the other side for a 90 degree righthander. This has a tendency to load up the front of the bike to the extreme. The other is a blind lefthander that disappears over an undulating crest, which ensures that keeping the back-end in line will be more challenging than it appears on screen.

It means that the chassis' balance will be compromised, to a degree, to ensure that the key areas of concern are catered for - such as the braking stability and chassis agility. To help cater for both, the centre of gravity will be moved slightly to offer better feel from the front-end as the rider dives into the turn - increasing confidence and therefore the rider's speed. While, the suspension balance will offer braking stability by rising the front and lowering the rear. The front fork springs will be slightly firmer, achieved with a higher spring rate, with the bike's attitude controlled by the spring preload. As for the rear shock, it will also carry a high spring rate, but it will still be plush enough to offer the feel needed to get the power down hard and predictably in conditions that can melt a rear tyre in a matter of laps.

Both Checa and Biaggi will head to Malaysia with chassis combination used at the Motegi MotoGP the week before. The Spaniard has opted for two of the latest specification, while Biaggi will fight for his number two spot in the championship with one new unit and his preferred chassis. The latter is identical; chassis wise, to the two YZR-M1s the Gauloises Yamaha Tech 3 riders Olivier Jacque and Shinya Nakano will use to make their four-stroke debuts. And, time permitting, Checa and Biaggi may also test the latest rear swingarm offering initially pencilled in to make its debut in Japan.

Being four-stroke mounted will prove to be a big advantage for the Tech 3 pair with the high humidity the biggest concern for the 500s - typical in this region during the month of October. This circuit requires a good, consistent and strong low to midrange power delivery, but the high humidity can actually deprive the two-strokes of around five percent of their full horsepower potential. The high air temperatures, which can cause the engine to run around 10-degrees Celsius hotter than normal, amplify this again robbing the bike of power.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Malay Big Rig

Arrr, this takes me back.....

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Grid

Where the bullshit walks......

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 05:31 PM
Tug

Wink Fuggin theving bastids

Some twat stole my set up notes What blind corner

I like the pic of the Malaysian truck, was he wearing a helmet

The pic of the start line got my guts spinning like a washing machine

Most of the boyz are on the way already and Im stuck in the office Ill be getting the qualifying report by SMS and will let you know the standings.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Keen as

Would love to see the qual results when you have them....

Here you go this is the only thing you need to worry about - these might help you get your start timing right from the comfort of your desk. Just be careful you don't dump the clutch too hard and fall off the back of your chair....

GO GO GO!!!!!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Just read that the Gauloises Tech 3 team were testing over at Shah Alam the past few days....... hope someone gave them a monkey warning!!!

You still there Tug??? Get on that thing and get up there would you.....

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:32 PM
Tug

Angry Ill be here all day

Got to make a farkin speech at 7pm and then hang around talking to tossas untill 9pm

Farkin ell Im only 12 seconds slower than Andrew Pitt on his kwaker and 20 behind the Doc The bastid would be lapping me after only 6 laps
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

First practice

9pm!!!! So are you going up tonight or not until tomorrow morning?

Got feel sorry for Pitty, talk about thrown in the deep end he's never even been to Sepang before and this is the first time he's even tossed a leg over that funny looking green monster.

True story: In the early days he used to race proddie bikes as his school sport!!! His mechanic was actually his Phys Ed school teacher

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Pic II

Pic II

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 11:46 PM
Tug

Wink Poor bugger

Looks about as nervous as I feel

Bike designed by Pabo Picasso

Going up tonight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode