All Service men Questions - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 03:31 AM

As far as school. That is on you. You will have 4500.00 available in tuition assistance. But you have to make the time to use it.

The military (no matter what branch) is not going to bend their plans for you to attend school. You have to work around the military.

The opportunity is out there, the problem is everyone wants to make excuses as to why they don't take some classes.

I've taken 40 credits this year, and I am full time. The question is do you really want to go to school?

Also, go to www.march2success.com there are some great tools for the asvab there.

Also go to military.com and scroll down on the left and you will see a link to "Ace the Asvab" or something. I suggest doing the quick one so you have an idea on what your getting yourself into.

Hopefully that helps.

Good luck buddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 11:20 AM

You can Clep tests, take lunch time classes, or even night school. It all depends on what job and shift you are working on. A.F. probably has the most time for you to go to school. I don't know if the ships have internet classes while out to sea. You can do lots of travel with the A.F., especially if you are on flight status. You also have 30 days a year vacation and you can take a military flight anywhere in the world that we fly to, for less than $10 each way.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 12:10 PM

Exclamation Just some info on the Navy ratings...

...right now the Navy is making an effort to relieve the Army and Marines in our global war on terror. What does this mean? Well, there are certain ratings within the Navy that are going to be more directed towards ground force missions...I just got off of one in Iraq. Most people do join the Navy to see the world...that's what I did, back in the early 90's but the mission is changing and that means the role is changing....if you want use the Navy as a free ticket to other countries...stay away from security oriented, medical oriented and construcrion oriented ratings(you'll still see other countries, mainly Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan or Africa)....if you need more info...email me and I can fill you in. My active years in the Navy set me up for the success that I have enjoyed in my civilian career....this last reserve stint, on the ground, in Iraq....well...let's just say...I'm glad to be back. Good luck to you! Ride safe!

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

I didn't know the navy was going on the ground? But I was thinking of trying for some type of computer or mechanical background. I go see the recruiter tomorrow, so we shall see what they say, thanks again for the help!!!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 04:21 AM

Exclamation Yep, believe it or not..

The Navy has always had the SeaBee's, corpmen, coastal warfare guys and S.E.A.L.'s....but now they have developed Detainee Battalions, Riverine units and they are toying with the ideas of Naval infantry.....as the mission changes, so do the branches!?! Good luck and God's speed to you...be safe and ride safe, wherever your journey takes you!!!....and thanks.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:14 AM

air force guy chiming in here.... and its kinda like what guys said here before it depends on what your looking for.

But i think they can all agree with me for the most part that the air force takes/has a better quality of life. i dont want to argue or start a war here but the guys who have been to af bases know usually are stuff is a lil nice. And when we deploy we only deploy for 4 mos every 15 mos maximum. none of this yr stuff like army / some marines.

but on the other hand if you wana see action and that sorta thing then by all means dont join the AF lol.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Well!!

Well guys I met with both the Air Force recruiter and the navy fella, and it seems the air force is a little more to my liking, but the navy guy didn't like that answer and is currently trying to pursuade me lol! But I figure I'd hear him out to not insult him. I appreciate every one's input and help, I will probably make a decision in the coming week, probably AF providing I pass the ASVAB and the MEPS but the recruiter said there should be no problem. Thanks again to all of your help and advice and I let you all know what happens!!
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 07:31 PM

Im active Army... nothing wrong with it, but its alot of sacrifice man.. lots... any soldier will tell you that.

Army's been good to me though... sometimes i wish i joined the Air Force, just for quality of life stuff... but ive always been a proud soldier...

Military is not for everyone, youll find out quick weather its for you or not...
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Well change of heart!!

Hey guys, I did alittle soul searching and research and decided on the navy after all! Mostly because of the travel oppertunities and the fact that whatever job I get I'm guaranteed that job as the air force you select five jobs and which ever one comes first you get. So my recruiter sent out the paperwork on Monday to the MEPS and I'm scheduled to go next monday. In the meantime I've been studying for the ASVAB and trying to control my weight(I'm right at the limit!), kinda sucks considering Thanksgiving is a couple days away, but we'll manage, just wanted to thank everyone for their input and alvice and encouragement in my debacle, and I will keep you guys postd on what happens!!!
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 03:37 PM

Thumbs up Hey good luck....

If you would like to talk to an unbiased bloke....let me know and I can fill you in on the "real" world on the high seas!!! Congrats on your decision...I guarantee you will have some of the best but some of the most challenging times of your life!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode