War Stories - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

War Stories

I'm starting this thread as a result of one of the members asking me about stories from Iraq, Afghanistan, GWOT in general. Lets keep em real, but watch what we put out. We don't want to dishoner the fallen, or give our adversary any advantage. I'll start with the next post from my first day at Camp Fallujah.

Do - or do not, there is no try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Day 1, March 2004

So you think you know what you are getting into? I was one of the attachments to 1st BN 5th Marines that went in to take over for the 82nd airborne in March of 04. Luckily, I was on the advance group that got to fly into Iraq rather than the rest of the unit that had to convoy from Kuwait. The trip was uneventful, the plane-ride punctuated the fact that we were in combat by the aerial maneuvers that the cargo plane had to take while coming in for a landing. We thought we were jinxed right away when the crew chief (Air National guard guy) said that we were his last trip before they were heading home. Nice....

Anyhoo. After a short (3 hour) convoy from the airport to the base that we were to be operating out of, (The convoy we took was the most attacked convoy at the time) and got to get some sleep. The first morning we (there were about four officers and myself in one room on cots) were awoken by what would come to be the most common noise in Iraq: mortars. Think of the scene in Jurassic Park where the glass of water starts to shake on the dasboard of the truck. Just like that. Except the impacts got louder and closer. We were all groggy, but the last impact (it hit about 100 feet outside the wall) shook us all awake. We all kinda looked at each other from our racks, waited for another impact, and when there wasn't one we all laugheda little nervously, I said "Welcome to Iraq," then we all went back to sleep.

Do - or do not, there is no try!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cooter Send a message via Yahoo to Cooter
Sorry But I dont have any stories to Post. Things are not too eventfull for me here at Camp Rustamiya, Iraq (Baghdad).

They have me working at the BIF (Brigade Interogation Facility), as a guard. So I dont leave the camp.

-Cooter
aka Chris

"There is only one theif in the Army. Everyone else is just trying to get their sh!t back."

Gone: 96 CBR 600 F3
85 Honda Shadow VT700

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Army34DonnyB Send a message via Yahoo to Army34DonnyB
How is Rusty these days i left there on the 9th of december of 05.. MP chicks still slutting around ????? lol occasional mortar coming in setting the new guys in a frenzy? I feel for you the bif sucks i had to do a couple transports for you guys. But hey look at it this way it beats leaving the fob and getting blown up. Lucky bastard lol. Take care and get home safe

Donnyb
1/182 FA SECFOR

From Iraq to Afghanistan the wars never end for me
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 11:00 PM

Things are not too eventfull for me here at Camp Rustamiya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode