Where does Triumph go from here? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Where does Triumph go from here?

The new daytona 600 is a good start, but they really need to update the sportbike range, not radically-keep the inline three design. Does anybody know what Triumph has up their sleeve for the future. I saw some pics of the hyperbike they were designing, shame that they shelved it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 02:43 AM

The head of marketing said in an interview recently that they see the future (i.e. profit margins and sales) in the classics and cruisers. He said they can't compete with the Japanese sportbikes as there's no money in it and it's a shrinking market.

There are rumors the 600/4 motor is going to die as the above interview said they were going to focus on twins and triples. I can see that logic. If you're in the market for a 600/4 sportbike, why would you buy a Triumph? It's tough to beat the Japs at their own game. I like the looks of the 600 and the fact it's not quite as powerful as the others is no biggie to me. That market seems very focused on specs and race results and Triumph isn't going to win that game.

All in all, I'd say the future is not bright if you're hoping for Triumph to invest money in updating the Daytonas. We'll see what actually plays out in the next year. The Daytona 955i is ripe for a major upgrade, but having just done a minor/cosmetic change, they aren't likely to offer anything new for 2005 for it. The Sprint could use an upgrade too (not touched since 2002).

I'm not planning on buying a bike this year, so I'm happy to wait and see what the 2005 model line brings. If they start offering blowout deals on the D600 to get rid of them, I could be tempted into getting one though... My real wish is for a seriously updated Daytona 955i, but I can't justify the insurance on it.

- Garry

Pittsburgh RAT Pack
www.pghratpack.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode