oil leaks - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Triumph_S4
oil leaks

How many of you guys have had problems with oil leaks and how often do you have them. My bike is in the shop for the second time in the first month i have owned it, and i bought it new. first leak was at 600 miles (grrrr), they said it was the air box seal. The second time was the same thing, and now they are replacing a faulty filter. Just wondering how often i should prepare my self for my bike being in the shop.

It's not what you ride, it's that you ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 10:56 AM

Re: oil leaks

Quote:
Originally posted by Triumph_S4
How many of you guys have had problems with oil leaks and how often do you have them. My bike is in the shop for the second time in the first month i have owned it, and i bought it new. first leak was at 600 miles (grrrr), they said it was the air box seal. The second time was the same thing, and now they are replacing a faulty filter. Just wondering how often i should prepare my self for my bike being in the shop.
Sorry to hear about that Triumph_S4. I haven't had any leaks. I've had to replace my fuel sensor, actually had to modify my fuel sensor, and had to replace my fuel pressure regulator, but I've had my bike for 3 years now, so I feel that those small things were minor. If it's that new, your dealer should do a good job getting the problem fixed for you since it's under warranty. Good luck and keep us posted...........

Well behaved women rarely make history.

I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.

www.inkycellstattooco.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 09:47 AM

I had the dreaded new bike oil leak... A few trips to an incompetent dealer (locally) and a lot of research on my part via the net and no more oil leaks...

Hopefully you can get it taken care of the first time out...

Check www.tt600.org for more info. If you are not over there already it is a GREAT site for the TT600 / S4

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 11:50 AM

Re: oil leaks

Quote:
Originally posted by Triumph_S4
I have been lucky ,no leaks or anything else.Hope you get it straightened out.

badges? We don't need no stinking badges.
Twist and shout!
Loud Clutches save lives
The older I get the faster I was
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 09:53 PM

Re: Re: oil leaks

Quote:
Originally posted by Inky
... I've had to replace my fuel sensor...
The fuel sensor was bad on my bike right from the dealer. They had to pull one from another Triple to replace mine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 11:36 PM

If you own any motor vehicle (two or four wheel) made in England, it will leak oil or the electrical system will fail. That is just the stigma of "made in England".

I have owned two Triumph cars and had to do a frame off restoration of one and a frame on restoration of the other to fix all the problems. Lots of character in those cars, but lots of problems.

As far as my bikes, I had an '87 Yamaha Venture Royale (44,000 miles when I sold it) that had some leaking from the transmission gasket on the left side. It uses the VMax motor and that motor has many covers and gaskets where oil can leak when the engine gets old and high mileage. So I took the cover off and replaced the gasket and put RTV sealant (but only a very thin coating) over the metal. Worked great. Just do not overtorque the bolts and you should be fine.

My other bikes have been from Italy or Japan, and I have had no other leakage. But I think eventually when the mileage gets high enough any engine could leak oil from somewhere, and that is just part of the aging process.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fuster
If you own any motor vehicle (two or four wheel) made in England, it will leak oil or the electrical system will fail. That is just the stigma of "made in England".

I have owned two Triumph cars and had to do a frame off restoration of one and a frame on restoration of the other to fix all the problems. Lots of character in those cars, but lots of problems.

As far as my bikes, I had an '87 Yamaha Venture Royale (44,000 miles when I sold it) that had some leaking from the transmission gasket on the left side. It uses the VMax motor and that motor has many covers and gaskets where oil can leak when the engine gets old and high mileage. So I took the cover off and replaced the gasket and put RTV sealant (but only a very thin coating) over the metal. Worked great. Just do not overtorque the bolts and you should be fine.

My other bikes have been from Italy or Japan, and I have had no other leakage. But I think eventually when the mileage gets high enough any engine could leak oil from somewhere, and that is just part of the aging process.

I call bullshit,I had more problems with the 2 VFR's i owned than any other motorcycle.I am on my second Triumph(the first bought new) and have not had any,type of problem.I have owned Hondas,Kawa's,Moto Guzzi's,Ducati's,Suzuki's,BMW's and Harley's.The last VfR (a 97) had numerous electrical problems,and two oil leaks,one straight from the Honda factory(warped front head).Any make can have problems,and trust me if you read some of the stuff going on with the BMW people over on thier forum you would shake your head.The old britsh machines may have had that stigma,and deservidly so but the new Bloor machines do not deserve it.There are in fact fewer problems reported than with the big 3 japanese manufacturers,and that data is provided by the manufacturers.Owners surverys done by MCN and Rider have shown in the last 5 years Triumph has the highest satisfaction and fewest problems of Any make.
You Triumph bashers are so full of it
I got this same BS when i was riding Ducati's yet in owning 3 of them with a combined 135,000+ miles i had zero major problems.Maybe you bashers should shut up till you own one then you can comment.And please don't tell me about the Old Cars you had or have till you own a Bloor Triumph You have no say.

badges? We don't need no stinking badges.
Twist and shout!
Loud Clutches save lives
The older I get the faster I was

Last edited by Maddjack; 11-08-2003 at 04:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode