Any suggestions for a quieter windscreen for my Sprint? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Any suggestions for a quieter windscreen for my Sprint?

Hi, I'm Inky. I've been hanging out with the hoodlems over at the Redline site. I have a 2000 red Sprint St. (His name is Saint) I love riding him, but lately the wind noise is just killing my ears. My husband and I bought the Autocomm communication system to be able to chat with each other, but the wind noise from the tall accessory screen is just too much. I'm not a little lady. I'm 5'8" and don't ask the weight. I have GenMar bar risers on it, and I have a full face Arai quantum, it's getting old and needs to be replaced, but I'm wondering if anybody has found another company that could offer better protection, or dispersion of the air.
And yes, I have tried ear plugs, but they tend to even block out the Autocomm.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!1

Well behaved women rarely make history.

I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.

www.inkycellstattooco.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 06:32 AM

You could contact Clearview shields and ask about them making a replacement for your St.the prices are not bad and its top quality.You'll have to know what you want though.Are you getting buffeting also,if so the shield might be belive it or not too tall,taking a quater inch off might help or try one of the edge lips that are for sale,they filp the turbulance over the top more decreasing buffeting.I think Sang sell those.
Http:www.clearviewshields.com

badges? We don't need no stinking badges.
Twist and shout!
Loud Clutches save lives
The older I get the faster I was

Last edited by Maddjack; 09-14-2003 at 06:35 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Maddjack. I did try one of the turbulence lips, and it actually made it worse for me, but thanks for the help!!!!!!

What do you think about a double bubble? Are they for looks or does the extra curve really help?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:34 PM

I have ridden a friends bike with a Zero-g double on it and it seems to help.I had the problem you are having on my 97 Trophy,I think on it the angle was too steep and it was noisier than heck on it.

badges? We don't need no stinking badges.
Twist and shout!
Loud Clutches save lives
The older I get the faster I was
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Maddjack
I have ridden a friends bike with a Zero-g double on it and it seems to help.I had the problem you are having on my 97 Trophy,I think on it the angle was too steep and it was noisier than heck on it.
Sounds about right..........but I thought I would at least see if anybody else was having any luck in defeating the noise! Thanks again for the advice.....

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 08:09 AM

I've tried them all, and there is no good solution. I have the triumph touring screen, stock screen, double-bubble screen and a laminar lip. I've tried all of the combinations of the lip on each of the screens, and there is no combination that gives both good protection and low noise. Believe it or not, the quietest is the stock short screen. It gives you a windblast in the helmet, but it's "clean" air and relatively quiet. The touring screen moves the windblast up to the upper helmet, but it's very noisy (as you know). The double-bubble is pretty worthless, it moves the windblast up about an inch over stock and it's much noisier. What it really needs is an even taller touring screen that is at more of a raked angle, but no one makes one.

Jarel
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
Tornado Red
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jarelj
I've tried them all, and there is no good solution. I have the triumph touring screen, stock screen, double-bubble screen and a laminar lip. I've tried all of the combinations of the lip on each of the screens, and there is no combination that gives both good protection and low noise. Believe it or not, the quietest is the stock short screen. It gives you a windblast in the helmet, but it's "clean" air and relatively quiet. The touring screen moves the windblast up to the upper helmet, but it's very noisy (as you know). The double-bubble is pretty worthless, it moves the windblast up about an inch over stock and it's much noisier. What it really needs is an even taller touring screen that is at more of a raked angle, but no one makes one.
Awesome information. My dealer suggested a Shoei, instead of my Arai. I guess the side plates by the ears are terrible at letting in too much noise. I just wish that I had a Shoei head.
Thanks for posting, I really appreciate it.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 10:50 AM

Agreed on the Shoei. I have an RF900, and it's the quietest helmet I've tried.

Jarel
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
Tornado Red
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jarelj
Agreed on the Shoei. I have an RF900, and it's the quietest helmet I've tried.

How many miles you got on that red beauty?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 08:41 PM

RooF Helmet

Doesn't "sound" like the wind screen is the problem. Your helmet may not be properly fitted, or that specific model helmet may have intrinsically poor wind noise attenuating capabilities. I have a RooF helmet and it has excellent wind noise attenuating attributes. The only draw back is . . . it's manufactured in France.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode