Daytona 955i - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Daytona 955i

I am considering purchasing a Daytona 955 and would like to hear some real world riding/owning impressions. I have a much lower powered Ducati currently, but I would never trade powerbands with my brother's GSXR600. I haven't seen any Dyno charts, but I'm curious how the torque peak compares to other litre bikes and if it arrives earlier than other litre bikes - I'll sacrifice top HP for some torque in a more street friendly range.

Also did the single SW go away and extra HP arrive the same year? I thought they did in 2001, but someone told me otherwise.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 11:14 AM

Daytona 955i

In 2002 the Daytona went to a conventional dual sided swingarm except on the anniversry model. They had to use up those left over single sided units somehow. Also the h.p. is up and the overall weight has been substantially reduced. The bike is still not in the same league as the GSXr's R-1's or other Jap fare., but in real world driveability terms it is an excellent bike. Depends what your needs are. I'm waiting for the tax man to leave me alone long enough so that I can upgrade from my 96 Daytona. Triumphs are generaly over engineered and built like tanks, otherwords they last. I've driven the 955i and find it to be extremely comfortable, smooth, refined, well laid out, and quick. The gear box could use a little more work but nothing there to impede ones progress. Maintenance is cheap compared to Ducati and repairs needed only if you do something silly. I.M.H.O. go for it. Dealers in my area are offering reduced prices on the 2002 models so as to make way for the incoming 2003's. There is no significant difference in the 2003 models.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 05:36 AM

I think you're a bit off there on the 03's. They will have the double sided swingarm and as for the pinkish colour? wondering where you got that info, suggest you check with your local dealer.
Latest Torque magazine, (Triumph owners publication), shows the 03's pretty much the same as 02 models. If you have a different source please fill us in. The Hinckley Triumph website is out of date, (last revised in 91). Sorry to hear about your electrical problems but every manufacturer has it's bad apples. Sometimes the dealer is more of a problem than the bike itself.
Most people I've talked to, (quite a few at the recent Texas Triumph owners Ralley), are very pleased with their 955i's. Best thing is to take a test ride and decide from there. Good luck with your 955 electrical woes, might try posting a question on the Triumph Index.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 07:16 AM

Hey Trip, not to make light of your dilema,but I feel your pain. Had some problems with my wifes Ducati all due to some piss-poor service by the local dealer. Because they installed the wrong 50 cent part in the wrong place, we nealry got stuck in the middle of B.F.E. and had to fork out some greenbacks to get the problem fixed. Sounds like you are experiencing the same or a similar situation. I can't beleive that your not able to get any support from Triumph U.S. itself. I've dealt with them before and they were extremely helpful. As for the electrical gremlins, maybe you have a bad ECU. Without knowing the particulars and past history I can only hazard a guess. As for the japanese products being trouble free, just note they have had their problems in the past as well. Either way, good luck.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 02:35 AM

Smile

This weekend I bought a Daytona Centennial so I'm bound to say get the Triumph, aren't I? Why did I overlook all the Japanese equivalents? In the end it has to come down to taste and what you want the bike for. My Daytona Super III, which I part exchanged for the Centennial, had to take me into the City of London every day, be used for weekend blasts and take me visiting friends in France and Germany in the summer. It did it all and I know the Centennial will do the same. However what I really need is one bike for commuting, another for Sunday blasts and track days and a third for touring. (Probably need a fourth for off roading too!) Unless you're really up there with the best at track days, on the road the 955i will outperform the Jap 1 litre bikes because it's easier to ride fast and is at least as comfortable. If you're looking for character (which probably equates to noise, vibration, styling, power delivery, what movies the mark has figured in, what your relatives rode in the sixties etc) it has all that and more too. There are worse reasons to buy a bike for than it's noise!

My old Triumph was completely reliable and I think the "over-engineered" tag still applies to the present models, which is a good thing as far as I am concerned. I tried all the others and the only one that came close was an Aprilia Mille. Horror stories about parts delivery waiting times and jerky running at slow speeds told against it. But to me it definitely has character.

The 2003 955i has reverted to the single side swinging arm, which adds 3 kg but improves the styling no end, or should I say gives it more character? The Triumph staff at the Birmingham show last month reckoned the double sided models handled better when at the limit but the public preferred the single sided model hence the change around. The Centennial is a 2002 model with identical spec to the 2003 model but a few extra carbon bits. If you like 'Aston' green (which reminds me of British Racing green) then I think it's a better buy than the 2003 models.

In the UK, Triumps are cheaper to service than Ducatis and factory support is up there with Honda. The Jap one litres make better track bikes in very skilled hands and a better basis for World Superbike attempts. In the real world, that 99% of bikers probably inhabit, the 955i is the better bike. The exhaust and induction noise all the way from 4,000 to 11,000 rpm puts a smile on the face of any rider and those behind!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 10:06 PM

Buy, Buy, Buy

I bought my 02 955i at the end of last summer. This is the nicest bike I've ever ridden. Compared to the Jap bikes on the street, this bike looks different and better. It doesn't hang as far as top speed or in corners, however; I'm not far behind. This bike rocks...from the brakes to the handling and sound is different all the way around. I say buy a Triumph if you want something different than the Jap bikes and don't want to spend a fortune on a Duc or Aprillia.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode