Scottoilers on Daytonas - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Scottoilers on Daytonas

Scottoiler,how do these things work and good place to mount on Daytona?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 05:45 AM

If you enjoy a clean bike, you don't want to go there. I saw a SP3 at the TAA meet in Detroit with one of these things. The back wheel, subframe and swingarm were covered with a nasty oil and dirt film.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:00 AM

scot oiler

Forget the oiler, stick with a little elbow grease, a grunge brush, some orange cleaner available from your local bicycle shop, some throw away rags, and a can of chain wax. Chain maintanence will make your chain last a long time. Rear stand makes the job easy.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:59 AM

I've talked to guys that really love them, and I've studied the system. It's very well thought out, however, any system that feeds oil onto the drive chain is bound to sling oil all over the place, even when the oil is introduced on the inside of the chain path. I think their key to success is the ‘maintenance free’ notion and the fact that it can dispense the oil in very small amounts. When one considers that most bikers totally ignore their chains or service them with the wrong stuff and in all the wrong ways, the Scottoiler is probably much better than nothing. Most of my customers shake their heads as if they understand my instructions on how to properly care for their chains, then they proceed to just spray chain lube all over the place. So personally I wouldn't install a Scottoiler if one was given to me, but I'd recommend it highly for those that don't maintain their chains anyway.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

I keep my chain clean and lubed.I have a stand and yes it is great.I was just looking into this for some input and thank you I think I will pass on it.I used Chain Wax for awhile but now use the clear synthetic from Maxxis.Seems to be cleaner(splattering on my bike).Has anyone tried White Lithium grease yet?I was wondering about what you guys use to clean your chains.I have used CLP (gun cleaner) and WD40 (once,never again).My other bikes are shaft drive.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

I keep my chain clean and lubed.I have a stand and yes it is great.I was just looking into this for some input and thank you I think I will pass on it.I used Chain Wax for awhile but now use the clear synthetic from Maxxis.Seems to be cleaner(splattering on my bike).Has anyone tried White Lithium grease yet?I was wondering about what you guys use to clean your chains.I have used CLP (gun cleaner) and WD40 (once,never again).My other bikes are shaft drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode