Dragon Raid. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Dragon Raid.

I just returned from the Dragon and it was great.Roads were a little slimey on Friday but Saturday it was sweet.We rode it in the sun,in the rain,in the dark and next year(according to Ron and Nancy)we have to do it nude.We even rode it in the truck with bikes in the back.
Knoxville Rats did a great job with sitting this up(clapping loudly for ya-all)Event was well organized and dinner was great.Most fun I had pi$$ing off Beamer guys.
If you guys can do it next year ,it will be last weekend of Sept.There was appox.75 bikes with large percent of them from the sport side(Daytonas,RSs,Speedtriples,STs).Alot of tigers too.
Some pictures are posted on www.tailofthedragon.com
This has been by far the most fun I have ever had rideing a bike(9 years).This area is "The mecca of of motorcycleing" stated Kilrbe and I agree.We only rode the Dragon(repeatedly) and none of the other area roads(hear there are some great ones).Next year we are planning to come a few days early to run some of the other roads first,then Rt.129 cause we know once though it and we will be hooked again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 05:22 AM

Talking

i was at the gap with teabagger.that road is awsome.granted we do have so good roads in pa but nothing like the dragon i have neve had so much fun rideing in my entire rideing time and all the hype about cops is a farce i came out of a corner and just shifted to 3rd gear and standing on the side of the road by a bmw car that went over a hill and hit a tree was 2 blount county cops and all they did was look as i went buy and into the next corner.we got no tickets and no damage to ourselves or our bikes.i cant wait till next year i am hoping to go to the dragon at least 2 times.also anyone that says a daytonas stock supension isnt any good. cant ride.

yes thats my daytona,no you cant ride it.

I an"t ridin it unless it has wheels or a skirt.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 12:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bikefromhell
hey you think my bike should be ready by then,i will be their next year hey no flames over hear i going to have to find a new head.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

James,you have to go.We will take turns on my bike if we have too.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 04:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to clutchNthrottle
Quote:
Originally posted by KLRBE
anyone that says a daytonas stock supension isnt any good. cant ride.
You're kidding right?

NESBA

You NEVER met the nicest people on a TRIUMPH!

Beauty: 1998 Triumph T595 Daytona (955cc) Street Bike
Beast: 2000 Triumph TT600 (599cc) Race Bike
Stealth: 2002 Chevy 1500 Silverado (5300cc) Sport Truck
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 05:18 AM

The cherohala skyway is a great ride too and it isn't that far from the gap! Nice wide sweeping turns and some tighter twisty's too! Not an intersection for around 40 miles or so. Fantastic road. The road climbs up to an altitude of around 5300 feet at the top. Great views too if you have time to look at 100 MPH ! LOL Plenty of pull offs all throughout the Skyway. Definately a ride not to miss the next time you are at the gap!

More people seem to get hurt on this road so be careful!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 05:22 AM

no i am not kiding.i weigh 210lbs and the factory supension set up the way i have it works great.it is all in the tuning of it.it took me a few trys but now it works great.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 05:23 AM

Re: Dragon Raid.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tea Bagger
We even rode it in the truck with bikes in the back.
So, basically you are the one everyone was calling [email protected]#hole for riding it in the cage and slowing everyone down. Glad you got out with no damage and had a good time. We should try to get a group of Burgh area riders to go up there next yr. I know I alreadyhave one trip planned for the Dragon and possibly another, but you can never go enough.

KNEE DOWN FINGER UP!!!!

That will buff out!!

Women are like parking spaces.....you get in...you get out....and you leave it behind you!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 06:37 AM

Re: Re: Dragon Raid.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UglyAngelX

So, basically you are the one everyone was calling [email protected]#hole for riding it in the cage and slowing everyone down. Glad you got out with no damage and had a good time. We should try to get a group of Burgh area riders to go up there next yr. I know I alreadyhave one trip planned for the Dragon and possibly another, but you can never go enough.

no we were not the a$$hole$ ththat slowed everyone down we did it at 10 in the morning and only 2 sport bikes came up on us and i moved over asap and let them buy and the a bmw and a harley came up on us about 2 miles later and again i moved over asap and even let them pass so i didnt hold anyone up in the truck.infact we got waves as each one went buy.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 01:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to clutchNthrottle
Quote:
Originally posted by KLRBE
no i am not kiding.i weigh 210lbs and the factory supension set up the way i have it works great.it is all in the tuning of it.it took me a few trys but now it works great.
I couldn't disagree with you more.

Anyone who says the stock Daytona suspension (especially a 97 model) is good, isn't riding very fast, particularly at your weight.

If you've found a set up that works well for you, at your pace, that's GREAT. I found the stock suspension WAY TOO SOFT on my 98 when I started pushing it and I weigh just a couple pounds more than you. The rear spring on a 97 was rated at like 11 or 11.5 kg/mm, appropriate for 130lbs rider according to the suspension professionals I've talked too. Were you dragging any parts of the bike in the corners?

It's excellent that you found a set up you're happy with, that's what it's all about. It sounds like you guys had a blast. I don't mean to rain on your parade but the generalization you made,
"anyone that says a daytonas stock supension isnt any good, cant ride," is inaccurate pertaining to early T5 Daytonas as a whole.

NESBA

You NEVER met the nicest people on a TRIUMPH!

Beauty: 1998 Triumph T595 Daytona (955cc) Street Bike
Beast: 2000 Triumph TT600 (599cc) Race Bike
Stealth: 2002 Chevy 1500 Silverado (5300cc) Sport Truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode