'95 Daytona 900...any opinions..? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

'95 Daytona 900...any opinions..?

Best regards Team:

A local guy is selling his '95 Daytona 900 (T3). The bike has 12000 miles and he's asking $4950.

He's not riding the bike any more (I bought his "Firstgear" jacket..only used a couple of times) The bike is only collecting dust in his garage...He has been trying to sell the bike long time ago but no luck..Bike was on consigment with a local dealer but no luck.

I really want the bike but first I'll have to sell my "standard" 2000 Kawa ZR-7...this bike will be more harder to sell than the Triumph...! Nobody wants standars...!

What's your opinion regarding this bike...? Is real worth it...? What about reliability...? Maintenance...? Parts costs...?

Ride Safe

Robert (formerly know as ZR_7RIDER)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 10:24 AM

NADA Guides shows the following data for the bike. I think NADA inflates their internet data by 10-15% for dealer's benefit (they do on RV's and cars, so likely also on bikes) You could consider adding some value for the low mileage. My guess is that the bike is worth between $4,000 and $4,250.

Model: DAYTONA SUPER III
Piston Displacement (CCs): 885
Stroke: 4
Cylinders: 3
Speeds: 6
Dry Weight: 464
Low Retail: $4,975
Average Retail: $6,545
High Retail: $6,940

They are very reliable machines and have a highly satisfied legion of owners. It wouldn't take me long at all to decide between a ZR-7 and Daytona, but then I love the triple!

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 03:56 AM

Triumph Daytona

I don't have true Daytona 900. Mine is a Sprint Sport - basically a half faired early Daytona. But bear with me...

They are top heavy - very.
They are a Verrrrrrrry long reach to the bars by normal standards. Depending on your size this may be a problem.
Does it have the newer brakes or the older ones. The early ones are a little lacking. The later ones are superb. I can't see them on the picture.

I'm told the Daytona can have clearance problems if you lean it nice and far. The lower fairing is supposed to touch down.

They benefit from a braided clutch line. The rubber one suffers from the heat from the engine.

I LUUUUUURRRRVVVVVE mine. The engine is a peach and at 12000 miles it ought to be nicely run in (they sound like a loose bag of spanners when they are new - well mine did anyway but its wonderful now). There are a selection of add on's available for it as well (Cans, Exhausts, K&N, Jet Kits etc) to make it go even better. The handling is competent, fun, rewarding and consistent - the suspension components are of quite good quality - but not quick by modern standards.

Hope this helps!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Robski: (they sound like a loose bag of spanners when they are new)

Now that's a creative analogy if I've ever heard one! Oh, and for those of you who may not understand "proper" English, "spanner" is the correct term for the common "wrench". Further, if one skins one's knuckles whilst using aforementioned "spanner", it is proper to add "bloody" or "phuhkin' ", before spanner.

Good input about the bike, if you can bag it for the low $4's, you should have a great machine that will give you years of pleasure.

Ride safe.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 07:15 AM

Re: Triumph Daytona

Quote:
Originally posted by Robski

Does it have the newer brakes or the older ones.
Hope this helps!
How do you tell the difference to know which ones it has?

Just FYI, this bike is located directly across the street from my house, and I've ridden it quite a bit. If memory serves, it has braided brake and clutch lines. Besides the Yosh pipes, turn signals, and tank-bra, the only other aftermarket stuff is a set of Graves clip-ons, which I found to be a little odd, but kinda cool-looking.

-Pete
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Hey Pete...!

Best regards Team:

Hey Pete.....! Is a small world.....! I tryed to call your buddy yesterday at his home phone number but I got the answering machine..and I really do not feel confortable calling after hours...by any chance do you have the e-mail address for Chris..?

I'm really interested in the bike but first I'll have to sell mine...I'll take some pictures of mine for an ad......But one thing is for sure...If he's having trouble to sell his bike..maybe I'm going to have more trouble selling mine.

Last edited by Zapata; 05-22-2002 at 08:29 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 07:37 AM

Robert, I have been a member/moderator/admin here since '99, with thousands of posts, but just recently gave it up for new identity.

I think Chris's e-mail is still [email protected].

If I was a betting man, I'd have to disagree with you on taking longer to sell your bike than the Triumph. It's a small niche of riders that are attracted to that type of bike (the older Daytonas), unlike *any* Japanese bikes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 12:26 PM

Just for some input I ride a 99 1200 Daytona And I love It. Yes It is top heavy but once You learn It It gives You A confident feeling of Stability. It leans over well and has a beautiful straight line stability. They are rare and unique bikes and are not seen that often. They are attention getters where ever They go. I love My T3 and won't get rid of it.

Racing Death on the Weekends Is What Keeps Me alive All Week
Old Age And Trechery Will over Come Youth And Skill
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 07:00 PM

I have a '95 which I've put about 7,500 miles on. I love sport bikes, and being 6'1" with ape arms, this was the first sport bike that ever really fit me. I had a FZR600 when I first got the Triumph and moving from one to the other was like moving from a full-sized bike to a 3/4 scale model.

It's a bit top heavy but is very stable on the road. I have slip-ons and the sound is just fabulous.

I'm selling mine to finance a new 955i, but that's more about trying something new than being fed up with the old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode