Sprint ST - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Sprint ST

I'm seriously considering a 2002 Sprint ST.

All of you ST owners .. What do you like .. and not like about the bike?

Thanks !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2001, 05:12 AM

I have an RS, not the ST, but they're similar enough that I think my impressions should help you.

Rock solid reliability
Smooth, torquey engine
Excellent fuel mileage (50+ mpg highway)
Comfortable ergonomics
Excellent handling
Great brakes

Dislikes:

A bit heavy for track use
Engine runs a bit hot (100 degree C in the summer), but this has not caused any problems
Parts availabililty rumored to be poor, but with the relability I've experienced this has not been an issue
Resale value not up to Germanic standards, but then the price starts quite a bit lower than BMW

"In my opinion, there's nothing in this world/
Beats a '52 Vincent, and a red headed girl."
Richard Thompson
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 09:45 AM

I'm in the same boat, trying to pick a new sport-tourer. Take a peek at the thread in the ST area.

There's an indepth review in the latest Motorcyclist magazine, which puts the ST, Aprilia Futura & Ducati ST4s together. As a true sport tourer, the Aprilia is really the top one, but they give the nod to the Duc largely 'cause it is so race-track compatable. They knock the ST for a lackluster suspension (compared to the others) and are a little nit-picky about the brakes.

Given the fact that you can STEAL a Triumph, for at leat $3000 less than the Aprilia and nearly $5000 less than a Duc, it seems like a no brainer...you can do a lot of suspension upgrades for a couple grand. I also submit that you'll find as many Triumph outlets as Ducati (parts wise) and the Aprilia isn't even on the radar screen yet from a dealership network.

The big questionmark for me right now is the BMW, as it is really a superb bike (K1200RS) but now we're talking $17,500 with bags...ouch!

I guess, all this to say, the Triumph is a superb choice. Many will suggest VFR's (also an excellent choice) plus many others. There's an ST discussion group I visited of hard-core European riders that ride regularly in foul weather. They all praised the bike and it's longevity.

It's a good choice and the triple's a great motor. You won't likely be disappointed!

Ride safe.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.

Last edited by Tahoe; 11-20-2001 at 03:20 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 07:44 PM

Speaking as a VFR owner, you won't be disappointed with the Trumpet. The engine is georgeous and if you're talented enough to find much fault with the suspension, go race ! Besides, Tahoes point about cost/upgrades would be very tempting but I reckon you'll not need any.

I had a good ride on my chums Triumph Trophy (full-on tourer) in France this year. A real blast to ride. O.K., it did get a bit squirrily on some fast sweepers (100+mph), but as I said, it was the Trophy. The Sprint would be far better at this.

Better Smeg than dead
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2001, 04:28 PM

I recently sold my 2000 SprintST. Great bike - absolutly reliable, solid performance, comfortable ergonomics, gotta love the triple. Not the sharpest track tool, and sorta "fat" looking. I'm thinking about an Aprilia Falco. Approx. same price, lighter, more HP, better handleing, and you gotta love the twin. Not quite as comfy, but with two bros makes risers and a double bubble windshield you got the best of both worlds. Check out the Falco R - really just cosmetic changes, but I like the blace frame & cans.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 12:34 PM

ST

test ride one. I bought a used 99 ST with 1,300 miles for $8,000! There are all kinds of deals out there on these underrated machines. I put 7,000 miles on it since the beginning of August. The bike has been flawless. I put a Triumph Stainless Steel race can on for a little more volume - it sounds great now. It's got more power then the VFR and looks better in my opinion (I'm biased). I can hang with my sport bike riding buddies without a problem and continue on when they head home after 2 hours because I'm still comfy. Throttle response is unbelievably smooth, as is the rest of the bike. There's a lot of great bikes out there - this is one definitely one of the best.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:47 AM

Add this as well. The current model now has the more potent Daytona motor and it's retailing for under $11K. I understand you can do some substantial suspension improvements for under $2000, along with a pipe, tankbag and go-faster stickers. In any event, the '02 ST is looking better and better.

I'm still waiting for a promised test ride on the Aprillia Futura, when it arrives in stock here, then I'll have to make a decision....

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 07:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green01SprintST
Exclamation Dead Thread!

I bought a new 2001 about 2 weeks ago. I have just under 500 miles on it and it is as the others have said except that I think it could be a little more comfortable. Very torquey, cruises effortlessly at 90+ and for what its worth, I live in the desert and the temp guage never rises from 2 needles-width above the first line from cold. And I got it for 8K plus the usual tax, prep, shipping, etc. So far so good!

He who brakes first crashes last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode