98 yzf 600 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

98 yzf 600

Recently I purchased my first motorcycle, a 98 yamaha yzf 600. I do have a lot of dirtbike and atv experience and have ridden on the street before so I feel I qualify starting on a 600. Has about 25,000 miles on it, but only cost me $2000 and it is in fairly good condition. Anyway, long story short the battery is dead because of me trying to start the bike (explained later). I was wondering about how much a new battery would run me. The one problem that the bike does have is the ignition. I have started the bike and so has the previous owner but it is annoying because the key is hard to turn past the "on" writing on the ignition. It is easy to turn the wheel lock on and battery on but hard to start. It is hard to explain the problem but I am pretty sure it has something to do with the tumblers in the ignition and I was also wondering how much a new ignition would be so I don't have to put up with the hassle of trying to start the bike for 5 minutes before it turns over. The problem is just the top part of the ignition where the key is entered. I couldn't find prices online. Sorry for the long post but I was trying to be specific. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 11:22 AM

1. Are you sure the bike isn't stolen? Ignition problems are a hint
2. A new battery is $100 or so. Are you sure you need it? Can you just charge yours?
3. Check out bikebandit.com for part prices

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 AM

a buddy who has moved-on from stealing bikes.... has told me the easiest way to jack a bike... is to get a flat-head screw driver, a mallet, and vise-grips: then plow the screw-driver in the key hole with the mallet: then get the vise a-hold on the screw-driver: and torque the biztch ON and scram!

Is the key-cylinder damaged at all?

Vash, do you think it's the stator? im jumping to that conclusion so much because i've recently replaced mine on the buell with only 12-13,000 miles!

"Every so often, I try to masturbate a large word into conversation, even if I'm not really sure what it means."
Not sure which one he is, but he's here
I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down.

Easy on the throttle, steady on the gears, roll her over gently and she'll last for many years.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 12:41 PM

A dead stator will have the following symptoms. With a charged battery, the bike will start, and run for about an hour or so (also can be as little as 10 minutes) and then die, and will refuse the crank over. If this is the case, then either the stator or the regulator/rectifier is dead. To check the stator, disconnect it from the regulator/rectifier and (with the bike off) check the resistance between all three wires and the ground. The resistance between any two wires should be about the same, and should be infinite to ground.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

The bike wasn't stolen, I have the clean title. And once the bike is started it stays on and runs fine. Its just trying to start the bike thats the problem. I think the tumblers inside the ignition are just a little messed up. And as for the key cylinder, there is no damage. The key was a little bent so I thought that was the problem and had a new key made but it still doesn't turn past "on". The guy I bought it from was able to start the bike everytime, he said it just takes a little playing around with the key.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 02:20 PM

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...k-1998/o/m8983

16: MAIN SWITCH STEERING 284428-001 $114.49

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode