2006 R6 shifting concerns? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

2006 R6 shifting concerns?

Has anyone experienced poor or inconsistant shift quality from their 06 R6? I know they have had problems in the past but I'm not sure if the gearbox has been sorted out yet. I noticed it more since my first oil change where I put Repsol Moto 10W-50 in it, and I do not know if they come with synthetic in them. It really shifts like shit up and down when cold, but I figure that's normal. Now when it is up to temp I still have problems mostly when downshifting from 4-3 or 3-2 gears which can really screw things up royally when cornering. Any input will help in regurds to synthetic oils, or experience with the infamous Yamaha gearbox. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 12:54 PM

Ridden one this weekend, and noticed absolutely no problems with the gearbox. Conventional wisdom holds that you should not switch to synthetic untill 3k miles.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Conventional wisdom. Well, I'm not sure what your getting at but thanks for responding. I'll assume it's the myth of breaking in equipment with conventional oil which is debateable, however, the bulk of my knowledge is in the automotive field, specifically Audi. I'm pretty much still in the dark about Motorcycle maintenance. It's a good thing I'm a quick study. I may switch it to whatever it comes from the factory with for a while and see if it helps. Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 04:26 AM

Well the official explanation is that the valves wont seat with synthetic. I'm not sure that I believe that or not, but I followed it. I do know that oil has a great deal to do with how your bike shifts, so its worth a try.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

I've heard the same thing. I think any engine should be seated, tested, broken in etc.. all from the factory no matter what, especially with sportbikes, but I'm an idealist. Good thing I got the extended warranty. I just don't want to be that douche-bag that complains about crap that is my fault. Being a technician, I know how freakin' anoying that can be.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 09:55 AM

Absolutely. For the life of me, I dont know what the oil weight has to do with valves sitting, or wether they actually need to seated or if they come fully functional and its something left over from the 60's. But there is a great deal about engines I dont know.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

I switched back to Yamalube oil, non synthetic, and it seems to be shifting fine now.Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode