Looking to buy an R6... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Looking to buy an R6...

So I'm taking a friend (2003 R6 owner) with me tomorrow to look at a Silver 2004 Limited Edition R6 for sale at a local dealership.

Here's the deal:
Asking price: $7,500
Aftermarket parts: Yoshi slip on, Silver windscreen (don't care for it too much), and carbon fiber rear turn signals (license plate eliminator kit).
Mileage: 5,000

Apparently, the dealership is selling it for the owner because he cant make the payments. The owner bought it from the dealership, and I even talked to the guy who sold the bike originally. It's been serviced at the dealership, so I'd assume they'd have all the records. It appears the bike was used mainly on the track as the sidewalls are a bit worn and there's bits of rubber melted to the top of the front tire's tread. There's still a good bit of treadlife left in the tires (Pirelli's). The bike has never been laid down and there's not a scratch on it. Just a few bug nicks in the front as to be expected. Frame looks fine.

Now since the dealership is selling it FOR the owner, i'd probably be able to get it without any taxes. However, $7,500 seems a bit steep for the bike. Assuming the bike is in excellent condition and the motor isn't tired, what would be a good price for this bike?

All input is greatly appreciated!!

-=riggz
'03 Liquid Silver R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 07:25 PM

The dealer should be offering the bike at the same as the retail value of the bike, but for some reason I assume the dealer has added on a charge for the bike sitting on the showroom floor. The owner of the bike should be taking the loss on the sale instead of him adding that charge to the price.

I found on www.kbb.com that the bike is worth $6000. Those aftermarket parts don't add up to squat, or at least not $1500.
Of course everyone wants a R6 and it is Summer, so the price might be a little higher, but $7500 sounds like way too much.

I would give him $6500. It's not your fault the previous owner is losing his ass on the loan. That's why I don't buy new. Underwear is an exception.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 07:37 PM

First and foremost...

He's trying to get for it what he still owes. The dealer is selling it for him and will probably take their cut from what he gets. But they don't really care because they're just going to take it anyway.

Offer what you want to pay and go from there. He will eat $1500 or so not to lose the bike outright.

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime: the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.
- R. Heinlein

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

wow thats cool, i was gunna pitch him $6500 tomorrow if the bike checks out ok. especially since ive seen bikes sell on ebay for less than $7000 with under 1k miles on em in mint condition. thanks for the input. ill post tomorrow with the results.

-=riggz
'03 Liquid Silver R6
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 04:39 AM

just a thought, you mentioned that this bike was used MAINLY as a track bike - 5,000 miles on the track is a lot different from 5,000 highway miles... I'd check everything twice and look at the service records just in case, because I know track bikes generally take a beating.

> T Guns
Rochester, NY
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

yeah, thats why im taking my friend who has 2003 r6 up to take a look at it. he's been riding for about 10+ years.

-=riggz
'03 Liquid Silver R6
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

update: had my friend look at it, and talked to another salesman. as it would appear the owner most likely just put takeoffs on it since there are no scuffs on the exhaust or pegs, and the front fairings are in too good condition to have been a track bike. so i guess that is good. but it definately needs new tires. so IF the dealer is selling it i think ill start at $6500 and wont go higher than $7k walk out the door. im gunna call em up in the morning so ill let u all know how it goes

-=riggz
'03 Liquid Silver R6
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 08:10 PM

Bring in a copy of NADA or Kelly Blue book off the internet for a prominent source on bike values, if the salesman starts being a dick. Start off at 6K, and if you have to work your way up to 7K, it's your money.

Now you know it has been a trackbike. Don't forget that this bike has been redlined in everygear and the transmission has taken some abuse, so don't offer the salesman money like it has been babied and only ridden on sundays.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.TrevorClever
Now you know it has been a trackbike. Don't forget that this bike has been redlined in everygear and the transmission has taken some abuse, so don't offer the salesman money like it has been babied and only ridden on sundays.
i think you missed my previous post. we figured out it was NOT a track bike, just had take offs on it. but thanks for your 2 cents none the less!

-=riggz
'03 Liquid Silver R6
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

well, called salesman up and said there was no negotiating on the price. gave him my name/number to call in a couple weeks when they decide to lower the price cuz it wont sell. i mean hell ive seen ads for dealerships around here selling brand new 05's for $200 cheaper!! oh well. guess the search continues....

-=riggz
'03 Liquid Silver R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode