eBay scams? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

eBay scams?

Hey all, this is my first post here. I'm looking to buy a 2003+ R6. I've seen a couple 2003 R1's on eBay with asking prices of under $3000. Both bikes had low mileage and were 'in excellent condition' I'm not really looking for an R1, but at that price if it WERE true, why not? So I emailed both sellers and it appears BOTH bikes are located in IL, and one guy claims to have left the bike with an eBay shipping company, the other claims he will ship the bike for free. One wants to use eBay as the middle man where i have 3 days to inspect the bike with full refund if i dont like it. The other guy wants to use Square Trade. Both asked me for my full name and address to start the process. Both auctions are no longer up after I emailed the sellers. This is kinda sketchy if you ask me. Just wondered what you all thought.

Thanks!

-=riggz
'03 Liquid Silver R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to crazy2758 Send a message via Yahoo to crazy2758
My friend just bought a 2001 Katana (I know I know, i tried to warn him not to buy an ugly ass Katana but he wouldn't listen and thought he got a good deal and it was his first bike so...) Anyways, the bike came 2 weeks later than expected but did show up. Now he's having all kinds of issues trying to get the title transferred from Fla to PA. It seems like a pain in the ass but he paid $3000 for a pretty decent (yet ugly can of bumble bee tuna) bike.

"This ain't negotiation time. This is Scarface, final scene, f*$#@!' bazookas under each arm, 'Say hello to my little friend." - Christopher Moltisanti
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

yeah. i just found another one that seems a bit odd. It's almost as if someone is cracking ebay accounts and posting these auctions on the cracked accounts with good feedback ratings. Then they change the account's email address and make you email to get to be an approved bidder then sell you the bike outside of ebay. Very sketchy.....

2005 R1 960 miles Buy it now for $3500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...559420548&rd=1

The seller's other items are pretty unrelated and it doesnt look like they've ever put up this kind of an auction with bold text and such.

-=riggz
'03 Liquid Silver R6

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:16 PM

It's a scam. Ive seen some of the same bikes, almost new, low mile, lots of aftermarket parts and the 'buy it now' price is ridiculously low. So why don't other Ebay users pick up on this deal? Instead it's posted for days and no one wants to touch it. Why would someone sell something so low unless it's stolen or it's a scam. Ebay is for sellers to make money, not lose their ass.

Why don't these morons just take the bike to a dealership and ask for cash from the dealer. It would be a lot faster. Yeah they will get screwed over, but not anymore than the prices they are offering the bike for on Ebay.

If you can't drive over and sit on it, I wouldn't bother. Hell if it's that good of a deal you could get a $500 plane ticket and be there tomorrow, ship the bike for $500 back home yourself and still make out like a bandit.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

yeah, whats funny is I have a friend who lives in chicago. so i asked to have my friend view the bike in person, i got no reply.

You'd think eBay would start tracking this down as it has potential to be a serious problem, if it isn't already.

-=riggz
'03 Liquid Silver R6
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:42 PM

I think Ebay should have a "scammer" button, so when you come across some unreal deal...hit the scammer button...when the seller wont answer questions regarding their own vehicle...hit the scammer button....when you say you will be in the area and the seller plays stupid like they are out of town until the day you buy their bike.....you got it...hit the scammer button.

Actually that gave me an idea. From now on I will say that a friend lives real close and is it OK to check out the merchandise.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

haha yeah, i say lets start a petition and approach ebay with our idea.

but yeah i always look at the seller's feedback and look at the actual auctions. if a dude is sellin nothing but cheap trinkets or baseball cards and suddenly a new sport bike for dirt cheap.... bells start to go off.....

-=riggz
'03 Liquid Silver R6
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
Quote:
Originally posted by crazy2758
My friend just bought a 2001 Katana (I know I know, i tried to warn him not to buy an ugly ass Katana but he wouldn't listen and thought he got a good deal and it was his first bike so...) Anyways, the bike came 2 weeks later than expected but did show up. Now he's having all kinds of issues trying to get the title transferred from Fla to PA. It seems like a pain in the ass but he paid $3000 for a pretty decent (yet ugly can of bumble bee tuna) bike.
I don't think kats are ugly, mine is very comfy, and is my fourth bike after 17 years of riding. I have an 01 katana that now you have confirmed that I too could sell for 3k. It goes plenty fast enough for me too.

Me Big Brother, me watching you

skylinerydr- where the ground meets the sky

Today is the day of the beginning of your life, ride safe
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 10:50 PM

Ebay is too techno for me.

I prefer Cycle Trader and newspaper classifieds from my area. At least then you can actually see what you're dealing with. It takes a bit more time, but I'll wait a while any day rather than get ripped off by some speed freak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode