Shifting my fz6 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to back_in_black
Shifting my fz6

I just bought my FZ6 2 weeks ago. I love this bike but I have a question about shifting. Ive ridden only 2 other bikes before. One was a kaw 550 ltd
(with many mechanical issues), and the other was a kaw nighthawk 250 in the msf course. Im really having a hard time having smooth shifts on the FZ6. I never had a problem on my previous bikes but the shifting on the FZ6 seems a whole lot tighter. If anyone could give me advice on better shifting that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:43 PM

Perhaps you could explain abit more what it is you are having trouble with?

Is the bike not going into gear? Are you hitting false neutrals? Does the bike surge to much for your liking?

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Everything seems to be working right its just I dont know how much throttle to give it when Im releasing the clutch. It seems I either give it too much or too little. I dont know if this just gets better with experience or Im doing things wrong. I guess if you just tell me how you shift smoothly I can work off that. I feel like a retard asking this kind of question. I just hope Im not hurting anything. Any advice would be great. Thanks

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:57 PM

Alright, so you are just having abit of trouble working the clutch. Its pretty common.

Your bike is considerably more high performance than the previous ones you have ridden. As such the engine provides much more compression brakings, and it also spins at much higher revs.

Try shifting at lower revs at first, it will make it less jerky. Also if you are moving (not from stop) just pull in the clutch quickly, change gears, and then slowly let it out. No throttle required.

Is it upshifts or downshifts that are giving you more problems? higher or lower gears?

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

yeah its upshifting. So I shouldnt be touching the throttle at all when Im moving and upshifting until the clutch is all the way out? Once again I feel stupid for asking this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

any advice would be great
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by back_in_black
yeah its upshifting. So I shouldnt be touching the throttle at all when Im moving and upshifting until the clutch is all the way out? Once again I feel stupid for asking this.
In a nutshell yes. Your clutchwork (after takeoff) should be quick, positive, and minimal, as should be your left toe. Think of a string from your left foot to your right hand and left hand. When you are done with the left foot, your left hand should be completely releasing the clutch, and you should begin ROLLING the throttle back open.

Or... you could go clutchless after first gear (but that's a whole different subject).

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 04:49 AM

If its upshifting dont bother with the throttle.
1. Pull in the clutch and close the throttle (you dont even have to pull in the clutch all the way, just a tad)
2. Put pressure on the lever and shift it into the next gear.
3. Let out the clutch with the throttle almost closed.
4. open the throttle enough to match your speed.

Or if you want to be super-pimp

1.Put pressure on the shifter
2. Close the throttle about halfway and open it back up.

Presto the bike is in the next gear. No clutching required. Its not bad for your bike if you do it right. However if you mess it up (dont know how) you could bend a shift fork.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:54 AM

Yamaha's just shift hard.
... especially between 1st and 2nd.

You will get used to the feel of the bike eventually.

My only advice would be to shift slower. Lift the shifter up and just waot that fraction of a second for it to grap and go into gear. Like I said before, you will just have to get a feel for the bike.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 AM

Cog boxes at the first are still being lapped in so take it easy. Above all remember the two bikes you have riden a bit were with cog boxes broken in. Hey they are almost like engines in that we need to let them "wear" in rather then abuse them to death.

Are you missing gears in up shifting then possibly the gear change lever needs to be set a bit lower.

Each gear change lever, brake pedal, & both front brake & clutch lever can be adjusted to your personal preference/satisfaction by a little adjusting.

Lastly, on another board some chap complained about the same bike, claiming the gearbox tended to want to almost burst. We found out his wrong doing was he was going directly from 6th down to first gear in one big hurry.
Though now he realizes his error & said cog box is not a problem anymore.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode