need help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

need help

what should I do. I have a 2004 cbr 1000 rr and I was eyeballing a new R1 love the look. my question is how does it compare???? I ride mostly on the freeway and around town while I am in school, but in the summer time I get to go home and ride hwy 112 to Neah Bay, freshly paved=awsome ride onthe cbr how different is the R1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:00 PM

I think it depends on what you buy the bike for and how big you are. I have a somewhat diminuitive friend who has an R1 and he likes it fine for everything. But it is very compact, and riding distances on it is going to bring more movement and more fatigue than any bike with a longer wheelbase and/or more weight.

I have not ridden either an R1 or the Honda liter four. The testers have said that the Honda is more comfortable. I live in Auburn. You live in Seattle? Riding to Neah Bay from Seattle? Get the Honda. Riding freeway? Honda. Riding mostly twisties? The Yammie. The longer and heavier bike will move around less in side winds, which there are plenty out there in Neah Bay, right?

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 10:36 PM

You have the itch for the latest Yamaha R-1 when you have the very latest Honda CBR1000RR?

Do you have that much money to throw around?

Man I cannot give any advise as I picked the Honda 929 back in '00 & the '03 Honda 954 in Aug of '04. Ride both of them along with a Yamaha YZF600r of '97.

Preference was for the two Hondas due to comfort of riding position for I ride the hwys all the time. By that I mean from Monday to & including Saturday bar long week-ends. My runs are from 4 to 6+ hrs each time I am riding.

Never had an itch for the Yamaha R-1 though it looks good only riding position is not as comfortable as the 929 or 954,

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Not that I have that much money. but the guy's up at Cycle Barn in lynnwood screwed up the gauges and plastic some how, when I had it in for a melted breaklight and since I took delivery of it they said that they are not doing anything about it. Bummer since it was my third bike from there. So I went up to I-90 Motor sports, and they gave me a friggin deal on a black R1, the other shops I talked to said that they could not come close to their offer.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbuck
Not that I have that much money. but the guy's up at Cycle Barn in lynnwood screwed up the gauges and plastic some how, when I had it in for a melted breaklight and since I took delivery of it they said that they are not doing anything about it. Bummer since it was my third bike from there. So I went up to I-90 Motor sports, and they gave me a friggin deal on a black R1, the other shops I talked to said that they could not come close to their offer.
TAKE THE R1...

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 04:40 PM

Cylcle Barn is the Darth Vader of motorcycle dealers in the Northwest. I would NEVER buy from them!!!!!!

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

fuster- I see that you are from Seattle. Where do you shop??? The guys at I-90 seem great.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 07:22 PM

There is a place on Aurora around 80th, maybe a bit south of that, the name escapes me, something like Seattle Cycle Center. It has the Word Seattle in it. They are at the International Motorcycle Show every year. They have good prices on gear/aftermarket. I also have bought gear and accessories at Ride West BMW and Cascade BMW. They sell Autocom bike intercom systems (Cascade does anyway), and Ride West has some clothing brands and items I like. Vanson for one.

I usually shop for helmets at IMS. They are always a better deal there if you can find someone selling what you want. I like Arai. I also shop at World Superbike at Laguna Seca Raceway in July, but this year they are doing Moto Grand Prix. Still will have lots of vendors, maybe more for that.

Other than that I look down here in the South End. Renton Motorsports, Kent Kawasaki, etc. Another good place from what I hear is the dealer on either University or Roosevelt. Has a name starting with University. Sorry I am absentminded tonight.

Fuster

- Rudyard Kipling
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:15 PM
jrm

We have bought bikes from CycleBarn, I-90 Motorsports and Aurora Suzuki--all with reasonable-enough customer service. No complaint about any of them.

Seattle Cycle Center is on 102/103rd and Aurora, just south of Northgate Way and a good spot for accessories.

Cascade BMW (I am pretty sure...) is out of business. I bought a bunch of stuff at their closing auction...two years ago?

My favorite "way South end" shop is CycleGear in Auburn. Accessories only, but I have had nothing but stellar service from them including a way beyond call of duty fix my flat even though you don't have a shop sort of GOOD story. I am in Ballard and do what I can to steer as much of my motorcycle dollar their direction.

Anyone know of any Daytona parties for this year? I've had a great time the past couple years at Funsters and Champs (won a jacket last year)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:07 PM

Wow. Cascade BMW out of business? Huh. I guess that leaves Ride West as the only BMW bike dealer in King County?

Cycle Barn is not a dealing kind of place, even on used bikes. They are what I call a "take it or leave it" negotiator. And they mislead on what they will do. If you are willing to pay close to what they are asking, then you'd probably not have my experience with them. Their service dept. seemed o.k., and when I had one of my bikes there they had a dyno, and tuned my bike on it. I assume they still have that. Seattle Cycle Center is where I was thinking that I bought gear there.

I am not connected with the Daytona party scene around Seattle, not sure where they will have one, but if you go to Sound Rider's web site they will have that info, I am sure. I ran into a rider up in Skagit County who says that Tiki Bob's down by Seahawks Stadium is becoming a sportbikers' hangout. Maybe they will have a Daytona bash.

Fuster

- Rudyard Kipling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode