2001 r6 stalling and jerking - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

2001 r6 stalling and jerking

I just bought a 2001 R6 and I am having some issues. I have been riding down the highway around 75 MPH (legal in Utah) and hovering at about 8000 RPM and my bike occasionally starts to jerk around and eventually stalls out. Luckily this has only happened 3x and I have been able to pull in the choke and get it started again, but it's starting to freak me out. The original owner has put on a Yoshimura slip-on and I have no idea if he re-jetted or not.

What I am asking for is a little help diagnosing the problem. Like I said, it has only happened 3x in the 2 months I have owned it. But I am afraid to go distance riding, since I have no idea if the bike will handle it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 02:54 AM

Give as detailed a description as possible. Every detail is important so tell us everything about the situation and we'll sort through whats important or not.

As a start though if it's "stalling" at 8k rpm and 75 mph it's a far bigger problem than jetting. Solution MAY be easy and cheap but it's not a jetting issue.

Repeal helmet laws, they only protect people we most likely don't need in the gene pool any way!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

well like I said it only has happened 3x. The first time the temp was about 200 degrees, I was travelling 50 MPH and hovering around 8k RPM (3rd gear). It was a hot 95 degree summer day. I felt a little jerk in my arms and then it started to buck back and forth. I tried to give it some more gas and it didn't respond to me at all. When I pulled in the clutch it stalled and I had to coast over to the shoulder. Once I did, I tried to restart it and nothing happened. I let it sit for about 5 mins and pulled the choke, and it started right up. I rode it for 4 more weeks until it happened again.

The 2nd time I was travelling about 75-80 MPH at around 8k RPM (6th gear) and was going at a steady pace for about 15 mins. It was a hot 90 degree summer day. The temp of the engine was about 175 degrees and it started the same exact way. First an initial sputter and a jerk and that's when I look down and try to gather all my guage info. And then a more violent jerking, pull the clutch and stall. This time I kept it rolling (I was in the passing lane) and pulled the choke and gave it some gas and it started up in about 5 seconds. I kept riding it for another 20 mins after that and had no issues at all.

The third time was early in the morning, about 7 AM. It was in the low 70 degree range, I had only been on the bike for 4 mins or so and the engine temp was only 130 degrees. I wasn't getting any power after I hit about 30 MPH and I tried to shift and it stalled. It didn't start while rolling so I coasted it over to a parking lot and opened the gas tank. It was really pressurized and sprayed up some gas. I put the lid back on and it started up fine. Ran for another 20 mins with no issues.

That's all the detail I can come up with, unless someone has some questions.

I plan to replace the plugs and air filter this weekend to see if that helps it.

Any ideas would help me out a lot.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 04:55 AM

This sounds 99% like a fuel starvation issue.

Possibilities:

Vacuum in the tank caused by blocked vent or malfunctioning fuel cap vent.

Weak or dead fuel pump

Blocked fuel filter

Kinked fuel line

I'm leaning toward a vacuum issue especially since you heard a whooosh as you opened the gas cap after the last stall.

Lift the tank and very carefully note the placement and route of the vent lines and fuel lines. I'd guess one is pinched somewhere.

If this happens again open the fuel cap immediately and listen again for the release of the vacuum or pressure. Your description seemed like you felt it was pressure built up in the tank but I'd bet it was vacuum as it usually occurs at 8k when you're likely to be burning more fuel and need more air to enter the tank to relieve the potential vacuum created by the fuel usage.

blah blah blah

Good luck.

Repeal helmet laws, they only protect people we most likely don't need in the gene pool any way!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 07:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to ialexanderi
I don't have a bike.. I want one.. But I do know some stuff about stuff... I definently agree above.. The gas tank needs air to come in, in order for gas to come out.. The air isn't able to come in, so the bike is being starved for gas..
It's like when you pour oil, you hold the can upside down, it comes out really slow because air can't come in, the oil is blocking it.. However if you tilt it to the side, there's room for air to come in, and the oil comes out in a good flow.. It's not getting air in the tank to push the gas through the engine..

Alex
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I have finally closed this issue.. I found that my rectifier was bad and the electrical was totally screwed on the bike. I started another thread for the rectifier. Thanks for all your help guys, but it was't a fuel issue.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 09:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to joes03R1
Quote:
Originally posted by mrbonuscup
I have finally closed this issue.. I found that my rectifier was bad and the electrical was totally screwed on the bike. I started another thread for the rectifier. Thanks for all your help guys, but it was't a fuel issue.
Damnt it I wish I saw this thread early I was going to tell you to check the rectifer out. I had the same issue and my was cooked too. O well glad you found it..

1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R BOOSTED!!
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R Daily Driver
2001 Yamaha R6 Sold
2003 Yamaha R1 New Toy!!!
1996 Suzuki GSX-R 750 SRAD FOR SALE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode