FZ6 a beginner class bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

FZ6 a beginner class bike?

Just wondering if the FZ6 fails in line with the beginner bikes like the sv650... If not what does Yamaha offer for a starter sports bike?

Last edited by Ryan F; 05-26-2004 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 04:34 PM

Personally ..... I wouldn't recomment the FZ6 to someone just starting out. It may not look like it has a lot of power to it but once you hit round 7-8K RPM the fangs come out quicker then you'd think cause then you get close to its 93 hp. (92.8hp @ 12500 & 43.9ft-lb @ 10500 ) I'd agree with what people say, it is a peaky bike and if your not ready for that power burst it gets it'll throw ya before ya know it.
I had around 4k miles under my belt riding a 94 Yamaha Seca II XJ600 ( bout 50hp ) which is pretty much the same hight, width, lenght, seat hight.
Even the SV650 has 73.5hp @ 8750 & 47.1ft-lb @ 7250. Not too sure I'd recommend it as a starter myself but I think others would.

Most people would recommend starting out on a used 500cc something or other with 50-60hp or so. Some little thing you can kick around and drop a few time then toss it out and get something you like when ur ready. You can get away with an older 600 like I did though.

I don't think Yamaha makes a 500cc bike at the moment .... then again you don't want a new bike as ur first anyway. If you ask "why?" ..... cause ur gonna drop it. You can be as carefull as you want and say "no I won't" all you like ..... your gonna drop it.

my

Today I met a man, I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today. I Wish that he would go away.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info... I am looking for a real starter bike just trying to sort through all the models available. Seems alot of the sites don't post horse power numbers so I have to ask about it's intended market...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 06:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja250F18
My first bike was a 81 Honda Twinstar CM200T, talk about a starter bike, this thang had no balls at all 65mph down hill with the wind blowing behind you. I rode that for all of last summer. Now I have a 04 Ninja EX250R, more balls and toucher, but I still have a lot of learning to do.. These guys here help me decide that, so listen to them. Stick with something small and learn, then go big.

Burn rubber not your soul, Ruff Riders for life.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 07:46 PM

As yet another current owner of an FZ6, I'd have to say this is not really a good beginner bike. As said by The Great Zippy, it really gets crazy fast after 7000 RPMs. It is also very top heavy, and anyone who can't put their feet flat on the floor while on the bike should move on to something else. Mastering slow movement takes some time and I can bare wittness that setting this bike down is no fun. I love the bike myself, but I wish I had put a bit more time in before I jumped on this bike. Yamaha doesn't address the sub-600 class, so I think you should at least start with a used smaller bike and plan to upgrade in several months, or next season. Buy something cheap and under 600cc's and gain the experiance you need to ride what you really want to ride. Plus it give you a lot more time to decide what you REALLY want.

"Stay tuned here for a new quote" scanevalexec
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Umm... Just to clear things up here. I have no desire to buy a bike that is to much to start on... I know enough to start small. I was just wondering on this model. As I said earlier the website (Yamaha's) doesn't post any real numbers just states that it is a tuned for low to mid power (I read that as less peaky better to learn on...). I was just looking to see what Yamaha offers as a starter... Looks like I'll have to go with another brand.

The advise is great other wise...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode