is this a good deal? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

is this a good deal?

I found a 99 r6 with 14,000 miles that is in excellent shape, almost perfect. It has a D&D exhaust, undertail, some carbon fiber accents, flush mount signals, and a new tire. The guy wants $4000 for it. Is this a good deal, or should I stay away because of the mileage? What is high mileage on a sportbike? What is 100,000 miles on a car compared to a bike? thanks for all the help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 01:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to QuickCoCo1
i have seen an r1 with 100,000 miles before, so you do the math.
by chance would the person selling this bike be named tom? That sounds damn close to his bike. The price does not sound half bad either.

If you are looking for a new bike for a good price a couple buddys from my club are selling theirs. Check out our site in the classified section
www.goldentriangleriders.com

and then when you get your scooter you can come out and ride with use.

good luck on you search.

PIttsburgh Police Magnet
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 02:23 PM

As long as it's in good shape it sounds like a fair price to me

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:16 AM

I agree that it sounds like a pretty good deal. Everyone will have a different answer for this but I would say 100,000 miles on a car is like 30,000 miles on a bike. This is average and would vary largely based on how hard those miles were ridden. I also personally dont consider 100,000 miles on a car that many. Many other people would consider a car with 100,000 miles near death. Thats my opinion and just a rough estimate.

1993 Yamaha FZR1000
1987 Nissan 300ZX

Big gulps huh, alright... welp see you later.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

ok, i thought it was a good deal myself, I just wasn't sure about the mileage because I don't want to buy it and have it croak on me. thanks for all of the replys everyone
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:04 AM

from what i understand the average rider only puts on about 2000-3000 miles per year. you can't compare bikes with cars. they are 2 different animals and it is a farce when someone tells you that at 30,000 miles, the bike is tired. that crap is a load of bull. it is a lie and don't believe it.

14,000 miles on a bike thats 5 years old works out to about 3500 miles per year. that would be considered just slightly above average but than again, it depends on where the bike is from. up north our riding season is shorter than if we lived in the southern states.

don't let the mileage thing scare ya. DAD can attest to that. right Dad?

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:15 AM

Wow 3000 a year is average? I got my R6 with 6400 on it in january 2003 and I just ticked past 20000 this weekend. I knew I ride more than average but didn't think that much...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:22 AM

tha majority of riders only go out on the weekend and allot of riders don't even travel very far. i will typically do anywhere from 120-200 miles on a good ride but i think what i read was that allot of folks may go 30-50 miles per trip.

if someone does 120 miles per week for 25 weeks...thats 3000 miles. i personally don't know many people that even do that every year but i know some who have put on 10,000 miles in a year. i myself do about 4000-5000 per year.

i'll try to find where i got that info from.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode