'97 YZF600R...good first bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

'97 YZF600R...good first bike?

I have heard quite a few people tell me that the YZF600R is a good first bike to learn on, that and the Katana 600. This will be my first bike and safety is my first priority. I am taking an MSF class and loading up on gear before I even start the thing.

But I need to figure out by Wednesday of this week if the YZF600R is the bike I want. Oh, and I have never ridden a motorcycle before, but I am 27 and intelligent, not into them because they go fast, I just have always wanted to ride a sport bike and love the look of the Yamaha. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 08:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to castrolr1
perfect bike to start on...... and if it is the yamaha that does it for you.. another reason to get it. if you get something other than what you really want, you'll be dissappointed after a while. so i give you a thumbs up..!!!! go for it

It's better to burn out, than fade away...!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 09:21 AM

You sound about like me...age and everything...

I just got an 03 600R...love it!!

I took the MSF course and rode my wife's Shadow a little before getting it...no experience before that.

Be smart and be careful...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Beacon776
I really dont understand why this would be such a great first bike. The 600R puts out the same mid range horse power as the R6. Granted the top speed is less and the low end torgue is not quite as strong but they are very close. The 600R is just a more comfortable sport bike than the R6.

I would reccomend a naked bike with no more than 500CC as a first sport bike for someone that has never ridden. I would highly recommend a low CC Crusier to get a good feel for motorcycling. I own a 600R and have riden an R6 many times and the only major difference I have noticed is the comfort and a higher rev limit...

I am taking into account that you are not 16 and seem to have some good sense by asking for suggestions in the first place and wanting to take the MSF course but, it can be so tempting to twist the grip and the 600R will take you to speeds no novice should be attempting in a very short time.

Like everyone says you will drop the bike and I would much rather drop a naked bike that a beautiful plastic covered sport bike I just paid $7,000 for..

Good luck with your purchase!

Its new
Its blue
and it just flew by you...

Last edited by Beacon776; 03-17-2004 at 06:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode