New to the Yamaha world - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

New to the Yamaha world

Hey. I put a post announcing I just got my brand new FZ6 in the New Rider forum, but I'm so geeked about my bike, I wanted to put on here in the Yamaha forum too. I love this bike and I can't wait to ride it. I'll send some pictures here when it warm enough to do so.

"Stay tuned here for a new quote" scanevalexec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 06:34 AM
jrm

FZ6 looks like an interesting bike. Saw one at Seattle Motorcycle show and sat on it a bit. What other bikes had you considered and what made you choose the FZ6?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jrm
FZ6 looks like an interesting bike. Saw one at Seattle Motorcycle show and sat on it a bit. What other bikes had you considered and what made you choose the FZ6?
Good question. Bikes in the running were the Suzuki SV650 and V-Strom 650, and the Honda 599. Consideration was mainly to upgrade to a more powerful bike than I owned (a Honda Rebel) that was not a all-out racer. The FZ6 got a lot of points for looks. I liked the half-faring. Honda would have been my choice if they made the 599 with that same option. Also, the under-tail exhaust was very attractive to me. I have no plans to upgrade a bike at all, so getting a bike that has nice stock options was important to me. This looks like it might be a good long term bike for me, or even a great stepping stone. Riding position was also very high on my list, and the "sit up and beg" style on the FZ6 is exactly what I was looking for there. Finally at $6500 it fit into my budget and left me a few bucks for sport style saddle bags.

Now if I only had a break in the weather to actually ride it! The only thing I don't know is how it rides. Stay tuned. When the weather breaks, I'll be reporting on that next.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 11:57 PM

I wish they would make a bike like the fz6 but with full fairings. I think the full fairing looks way better than a naked bike. If anybody knows of a bike like that let me know

Stop judging people you fat ugly loser!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 06:55 PM
jrm

Suzuki SV650R has full fairings and looks pretty damn sweet. I think I would be all over one if my TCat disappeared. Some of the parts advertisers on svrider.com have pics of bodywork.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 12:12 PM

I am curious as to how comfortable the FZ6 is. I am really looking hard at it, but I am coming from a Honda cruiser, so the leg position is giving me concern. I think I will like the slight lean forward, but being unable to stretch the legs out is another story. I was looking for footpeg lowering kits, but no success so far.

Jeremy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jstrain
I am curious as to how comfortable the FZ6 is. I am really looking hard at it, but I am coming from a Honda cruiser, so the leg position is giving me concern. I think I will like the slight lean forward, but being unable to stretch the legs out is another story. I was looking for footpeg lowering kits, but no success so far.

Jeremy
I think it is too new for any hardware yet. I've seen pictures of the bike with some really sweet looking hard-bags, and I was ready to pay the dealer for them, but there are no accesories for sale yet. Too bad, the only way I was going to get the hard-bags was to roll them into the cost of the bike.

As for the leg position, I came from a cruiser (I admit, a small cruiser) and I am very happy with how my legs fit on my FZ6. I am 5'9" and it does not feel cramped at all. Also, the way the seat and the handle bar are set it is very easy (if you don't have dwarf like arms) to ride either tucked, or straight up and down "cruiser style". You have quite a bit of forward/backward scooting room. I guess that is a real good thing since the seat is very hard (thin), at least you can move your butt around a bit. Best thing to do is find a Yamaha dealer with one to show and go sit on it. You can try the riding positions with the center stand down, and then try it without either stand to see how the leg reach is for you. When I looked at it (with my wife) we were hooked.

Don't ask me how it rides though. It has not seen one mile yet. I wanted to take it out the past couple of nice days I had here in Ohio, but I decided to let the cruiser get dirty and I'm saving the Fazer for that solid thaw.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 02:01 PM

The FZ6 must be a wonderful bike ...

3 years ago I owned a FZ1. Although I like my FJR 1300 very much, that FZ1 still is the best bike I ever had

Pierre Lima
Web:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Azores Islands - Portugal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode