yzf600r & yzf1000r - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

yzf600r & yzf1000r

Does anyone know how much longer Yamaha will produce the YZF600R? Also, why did Yamaha discontinue the YZF1000R?
Both bikes look similar and fill the same role of sport tourer, with emphasis on sport, so why discontinue one and continue producing the other?

History is humanity's study of the past in order to establish and maintain intellectual continuity with the present and future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 07:02 AM
jrm

rumor has it

The 600r is on it's last legs, probably. While it could stay in production like the Katana, every design gets old at a certain point and they need to grab your attention.

FZ1 and FZ6 are latest updates/replacements for those bikes within Yamaha lineup, as I'm sure you know. They traded in some of the "sport" for a dash of the newer, always popular "naked" in the transition. FZ1 has been a good seller and I suspect the 6 will be too.

Interestingly, what gets lost in the switchover is the adjustable suspension. My 600r has preload, compression + rebound adjustability on both ends, whereas new FZ6 has preload only (?). I definitely prefer the sportier look of the 600R, but gave the FZ1 more than a passing glance before I made the purchase.

YZF1000R/Thunderace was the bike before the R1. Lighter, faster, lighter and faster are the reasons the TA was binned. At it's introduction, the R1 stood out where the TA was ordinary. It represented modern technology (aluminum frame, etc).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 07:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
the fzr600 stayed in the line up until the r6 came along. my guess is the yzf may be there until the fz6 sells more units.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Yamaha needs more sportbikes in its lineup. I think they should update the YZF600R and bring back the YZF1000R and update it.
Keep the nice seats and the fully adjustable suspensions. I think the YZF600R engine is fine the way it is. But from what I have read, the YZF1000R got poor gas mileage compared to other liter bikes, so Yamaha should do something to improve that, like give it a six speed transmission instead of a five speed.

Yamaha still sells plenty of YZF600R's. It could probably do the same with the YZF1000R. To me, the R1 and R6 are really meant for the track and serious canyon carving, not long distance rides.
A YZF series of bikes would do well, I think, among motorcyclists who desire a bike that they can ride long distances as well as carve canyons. Same goes for a YZF750R configured as a sport tourer with emphasis on sport.

History is humanity's study of the past in order to establish and maintain intellectual continuity with the present and future.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 11:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
my guess is the fz1 fills that void.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cleerje
Yamaha needs more sportbikes in its lineup. I think they should update the YZF600R and bring back the YZF1000R and update it.
Keep the nice seats and the fully adjustable suspensions. I think the YZF600R engine is fine the way it is. But from what I have read, the YZF1000R got poor gas mileage compared to other liter bikes, so Yamaha should do something to improve that, like give it a six speed transmission instead of a five speed.

Yamaha still sells plenty of YZF600R's. It could probably do the same with the YZF1000R. To me, the R1 and R6 are really meant for the track and serious canyon carving, not long distance rides.
A YZF series of bikes would do well, I think, among motorcyclists who desire a bike that they can ride long distances as well as carve canyons. Same goes for a YZF750R configured as a sport tourer with emphasis on sport.

I ride my 99 R6 all over the Texas Highways (Hillcountry) and love it. Though I wish I had canyons to rides, I think R6 does just fine on long distances. I can not disagree with you though for the fact I have not tried any canyon runs. The R6 and R1 are both very responsive bikes, a little lean to the right and there ya go (to the right). I wish the R7 would be available in the United States. If I had about $50,000 I would go over seas and buy one and bring it back. I don't think you can even buy one overe seas either, unless you race for Yamaha, (correct me if I'm wrong). The R7 retails around 35,000 to 38,000 dollars, I believe. So, if Yamaha does anything different they should definatelly bring the R7 into the United States.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

The FZ1 and FZ6 fill the void for some people. Others may prefer a bike with a more sporting look and performance to match.

Yea, it would be nice if Yamaha would sell the R7 here in the U.S.
They sold the YZF1000R in Europe from 1996 to 2001, but here in the U.S. only in 1997.
I think the R1 and R6 are great bikes and I would like to have both, but the seat would kill me on a long ride. I sat on an R6 and it felt like a bench, not a seat. Bony people like me need more cushion.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 08:45 PM
jrm

sat on FZ6 today

This was the one bike I was anxious to check out at the Seattle Motorcycle show today. It was nice enough and very upright--as least as much as FZ1. It would be pretty simple to put a straight bar on to put rider into more "sporty" position.

I can't say I really like the fairing that sits out so much farther forward (it seems) that the FZ1+6 have (also like Bandit-S). It makes me feel like I am behind bike, not in or on it. Just me, really. Mirrors look like they stick WAY out there, too.

The progression of models I can understand, but where the FZ6 really lets me down is the relatively non-adjustable suspension. Where the 600R has every adjustment you could want, the FZ6 gives you preload. That is my biggest gripe against it.

I'd consider the FZ6 a modern Bandit 600-S. In a good way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode