Yamaha 750 question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Yamaha 750 question

Just wondering why Yamaha does not make a 750 sportbike anymore. Seems to me that the 750 fits well between the light and agile 600s and the more powerful but heavier 1000s.
The 750 is usually more powerful than a 600 but not as heavy and expensive as a 1000.

History is humanity's study of the past in order to establish and maintain intellectual continuity with the present and future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 04:29 PM

They probably do not see it as a strong market expense.

600's and 1k's are what people want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 10:38 PM

Unhappy Yamaha 750

Yamaha does not make a 750 anymore because there really isn't a point to them. There really isn't a class to race them in. 1000's sell better because of more power and torque. 600's are lighter and the newest ones are making more power than any 750. (excluding fuel injected GSXR's) It takes just as much R&D money to make a 750 as it does a 1000. 750's just don't make financial sense anymore...Shame really because 750's are fantastic bikes and done correctly they are giant killers. I still love my 1997 YZF 750R.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 03:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
not sure where this 122hp r6 is... sorry, but a gsxr750 will wax the r6 (the best 600 on the market).

the 636 kawi is also a factory effort racing against what are essentially support teams.

as for where the 750's have gone. they really priced themselves out of business. the rc45, r7 and ow01 i'm sure left a bad taste in a lot of manufacturers' mouths.

plus, suzuki builds the gsxr (until '04) off common technology and tooling, making it MUCH cheaper. r6's and r1's don't share many parts.

my guess is if the r1 wins in the showroom, and suzuki has to build a short stroke 1000, the gsxr750 may see it's final days. especially given that people are already voting for the smaller-sized 600's like the r6 and cbr600rr over the bigger gsx-r.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode