R6 Transmission - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

R6 Transmission

Hey everyone,
I've been reading a bunch of reviews on the R6, trying to figure out what one (besides the 2003, cause i'm to poor) would be best. But i've been hearing about a "clunky" transmission. I currently ride a 93 katana, and let me tell you about clunky transmissions. if i put the rpms above 5k, it's rough switching it from 1st to 2nd, sounds like the gears are grinding. but all other gears switch flawlessly. I just don't want to spend $5k-$6k on a new R6 just to have that same problem. So if you guys know anything about this "clunky" transmission, please tell me about it. Thanks
-Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 07:13 PM

My '99 has a bit of a hard shift from first to second. I suppose this can be referred to as "clunky". It can be overcome a bit learning to sync your shifting with the bikes 'willingness' to shift.

Go Yamaha!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 02:30 PM
smp

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm about to buy a 2000 .. anyone know?
I rode it for a breif 10 seconds .. up and down this guys street.. it tracked straight and 1st to 2cnd felt okay.
The bike has about 13000 miles on it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 06:55 PM
MF1

What's that ?
I've an 2000's model, my friend an 1999... No problem at all !
I noticed, after some hundred km, to pass from the first to the second was legerely harder... A speech of problems!!!
My bike currently has 16 000 km, and this problem does not exist of everyday usage.

MF1
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 12:13 PM

Over the past 6 months to a year I've seen several people post questions about R6 transmissions. All the posts were the same, people saying they heard the R6 had transmission problems and they wanted to get the record straight from actual R6 owners.

Ironically, outside of the people that 'heard' of R6 transmission problems, I've never read anywhere of any actual problem occurance. That tells me, that either the problems are very few and far between or this is just a myth that keeps getting circulated based on what people say they've "heard."

Any R6 is an excellent bike. 1999 I think was the first year of the R6 which if it were not a sportbike would mean it was a relatively new breed. However, in the supersport realm, 4 years old, is actually old!

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Trajik

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2003 Yamaha YZF R6 LE
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 (FOR SALE)

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Dad

I've known four guys who had R-6 transmission problems, all at or below 15,000 miles. I'm not sure of the years but it was a couple years ago so I'll guess '99. The problem was bent shift fork, jumping out of second gear. One of the guys is on this board as "Madbusa", so maybe you could PM him. The one beat his silly but also had the problem at about 5,000 miles, maybe less. Hope that helps.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 02:15 PM

I have also heard of the bent shift fork problem. Of those that had this problem, I believe all were people that did wheelies.

My '99 shifts hard out of first, but there is not a transmission problem.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 03:57 PM

My 2000 shifts a little hard out of first too but like VYPIR said it was really just a matter of getting the right feel for the clutch and timing and it goes smooth. 19,000 miles on it and no problems at all. Transmission is great.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 08:15 AM

It would be hard to determine if there was a real problem with the transmission. Four or five people here and there isn't much data. And as Vypir mentioned there is usually a commonality among those with problems. Like the wheelie bit. Unless there was some real widespread occurances of this problem I don't think it's anything to fret over.

Trajik

2003 Yamaha YZF R6 LE
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 (FOR SALE)

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 08:27 AM

My 1999 R6 shifts very hard from first to second. Has ever since I've owned the bike, 3 years now. Over the summer I had to buy all new gears and the shift forks on 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th very all toast. Transmission rebuild- cost me $1800. I know a couple others I ride with, same R6 and same problems. We all do our share of wheelies, so I do not know if it is a flaw in the R6 tranny or the wheelies. All I can say is that if it's going to cost me nearly $2000 every other year in transmissions for wheelies, I think I'll see about spending more money on a stronger aftermarket tranny. If they have one. Also, after the tranny rebuild, it still shifts hard from 1rst to 2nd. I think I am going to buy new springs for the clutch. Might help.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode