just got stolen bike back- questions....??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

just got stolen bike back- questions....???

My friend bought a 2003 R1 for his other friend (big mistake and told him not to do it)..... anyways..... a month later the bike was stolen...... but found and recovered a week later......

my friend took the bike back and it now sits in his garage.

Here are the problems though.....

the ignition was broke to hotwire it..... any ideas on how much this item is and anywhere on the net that shows how to replace it??

second... the bike only has 200 miles on it and whoever stole it roasted the rear tire which means it was really hammered on and not broken in correctly!!!! How screwed is the motor??

I mean the company gives a brake in recommendation to follow to cover them and if you develope a problem and the company can link it to not following brake-in then they dont have to warrenty it........ so what i am wondering is .... do you think the motor was damaged that much by not following brake in?

We were going to change the oil ASAP and also send the old oil out to be analyzed. Also going to do a compression test on it.
Anything else we should check out??

thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 11:54 AM

The bike should be fine. It is often reccomended that the break in proceedure should not be followed by the book anyway. I have often heard that babying the bike will cause problems in the future. Not sure how true this is. My bike is fine.
It should be fine.

As for the ignition. You may just want to pick up a manual and check your wiring diagrams. The Yamaha manual has the lowest cost of any. It used to anyway.

Sorry I could not provide a URL for you. Anyone else have advice or some more input on the break in thang.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 12:03 PM

i replaced a 00' r6 ignition, it isnt hard, the toughest part of it all is getting it off the bars. other then that just follow the ignition wires and it should just disconnect (male and female connections)then once you find where it ends take off fairings and whatever else is in the way, plug in and reverse process. I know it might sound difficult but it really isnt, just do it you cant make it anyworse, and as for getting new ignition, i went to a salvage yard and bought it there, it is half off msrp with everything you need ignition, gas cap, new lock for rear seat. hope this post helps. later.

ALSO HAD...
2000 R6
2002 R6

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:32 PM

Bike will be fine. I rode mine hard as hell as soon as it had 50 miles on it. It's a beast now! That book crap makes you end up with a slow bike. Tell him to sell it and get a 04.

I don't bench race, take it to the streets.

2002 blu/wte GSX-R1000, str8 modded, SICK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode