Yamaha Seca II...Anybody Have Opinions On It?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Gimpdiggity Send a message via Yahoo to Gimpdiggity
Question Yamaha Seca II...Anybody Have Opinions On It??

Hey everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could give me their impressions of the Yamaha Seca II.

I don't seem to find too much information on it on the bike forums when I do a search.

I currently have a Yamaha YX-600 Radian. It's a naked standard. Basicly a Universal Japanese Motorcycle. I treat it more like a sportbike than anything else, so I guess to me, my Radian is a sportbike. I really love the Radian, and plan on keeping it, more than likely until it won't move on it's own any more...and I hope that is a LONG time.

However, I am addicted to bikes. I am planning on getting another bike next spring. I want something that has a bit of a fairing on it, so that when I travel for a longer distance I have a bit more protection from the wind. (The wind factor is the ONE thing I don't like about my Radian)

The few things that I am looking for in the next bike are the following:
1. I would LIKE to buy another Yamaha
2. I want it to be "semi-naked," like a SV-650S type style
3. I would like to spend around $2,000 on it
4. I would like it to be less than about 10 years old

When I look for stuff of this criteria, about the only thing that I can come up with that matches all of it is a Yamaha Seca II.

I really like the way the Seca II looks, but I can't find much out about it's performance.

I notice it only has one disc for the brake on the front, so that leads me to believe that it's less of a sportbike and more of a touring type bike. Is this the case??

I know it's kinda down on power, but that doesn't really matter to me. My 55hp Radian is plenty of power for me at this point in my riding career.

So, I guess to sum this post up, does anyone have any impressions or opinions about a Yamaha Seca II??

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-It's a Hooligan Bike...Click the link to see pictures!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:45 AM
jrm

justified

I think the Secas look like the Fazers and FZ6 that is heading for us in 2004. I see a few of them rolling around and think they would be a good bike, considering your criteria--which really narrow it down.

I would also recommend the 600R. Perhaps for a couple hundred to $1k more, you could get into much more of a sport bike. Depends on how new and how nice you want it. I am biased, though. Mine is great.

>>>WTF? That's not the pic I wanted! You can see the bike on the right, however. You see, the 600r is helping the Ninja 500 build some more power (on the Soloflex...).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikesinbasement.jpg (45.5 KB, 189 views)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:47 AM
jrm

here

Let's try this again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 600rmtrainier.jpg (41.4 KB, 192 views)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to SilentNEKO
the seca II is a good bike, but like you said its very down on power, its air cooled and only makes, I think 59hp. basically it would be a waste of time to upgrade to since it basically like your bike just with a half fairing. for a lot less you could simply add a fairing to your bike that looks like the seca's.

"When the time comes, I'll be too busy lookin good!"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 09:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to YZFJeff
Gimp...FWIW

A friend of mine on a budget bought a 93 Seca II and I rode it for around a few times and also rode it for about 100 miles on a trip to CA from AZ.

Pros:

Cheap
Detuned motor = long engine life
Pretty comfy ergos

Cons:

WAY LOW on power
Terrible wind protection
Poor gas mileage/range
Top speed about ~105mph
NOT a very stable bike for canyon carving
Tire Selection

As for the power issue....My EX500 was so much faster which surprized me. My friend who owns it came from an EX250 and said it feels almost like the same bike to him, with just a smidge more power.

If you want a nice sporty ride for $2K or less....Look at EX500's or if you have to stick with a Yamaha...Look for a YZF600R. They are fantasic street bikes with an abundance of power and very comfy with stellar fuel range 250 miles per tank. You might be able to find a 97 for about that price with a few imperfections.

Good Luck with the new bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
http://www.helmetharbor.com/racing/ama_race_team/rider_bios/bios.htm
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 03:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to jrod95gt
I just got a 96 seca II a month ago. being my first bike ever, I wanted something not too fast. I must say though, even to me, it feels pretty slowish. I've read it puts out 48-55hp, and runs mid to low 13's in the 1/4 mile. Don't let the fairing fool you, the wind hits right about my chin if I'm sitting upright. leaned over on the bike isn't comfortable because of the riser bars. its just fine for zipping back and forth to work, but I wouldn't want to make any long rides, cause its pretty buzzy.
also, they are notorious (from what I hear, and mine's the same) for looooong warm-ups. i hear a jet kit will cure it, but haven't done it myself. i dont' know squat about your bike, but it sounds like this one wouldn't be too much different, but if that's what you're after...
It's been my plan from the start to ride this for about a year, then get the bike I really want, an SV650.

J
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 07:04 AM

If it helps any, Saturntangerine (Over on the GTR Forum) has a Seca II... She may be able to help you out with any info you need.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 11:48 PM

I just signed on to this forum like 2 minutes ago cause I read this thread!

I bought a 1992 Seca II 2 months ago (my first bike) and have been riding the wheels off it. I love it compared to my buddie's Katana and CBR F2, but that's just me.

The Seca II is nice and small, fairly light and very managable.

I've modified it somewhat with a set of small dual headlights and fly screen (think buell) and lowered the front about 1.5 inches by moving the fork tubes up through the triple tree. I also ditched the stock handlebar for a pair of Pro-Tek clip-ons, and it makes the bike feel and look way more sporty.

The bike used to need a 6 or 7 minute warm-up to run right, which I've read is normal for a Seca II, but I cured it by adding a dynojet stage 1 jet kit. Warm up takes about 30 seconds now, and there's a noticable rise in top-end power.

I've also been trying to stunt it, it will come up in first gear with a decent bounce, and clutching it up in first is no problem at all.

The Seca II is definately a sporty-ish bike, and if you check out the single front brake, it's much larger than most modern bike's dual brakes. I have no problem doing stoppies close to the balance point.

The main problems with the Seca II, IMO, are the warm-up time if you don't have a jet kit (which is extremely easy to install), lack of aftermarket parts, and lack of information on how to tune and modify it for more power or better looks.

Tires aren't terribly hard to find, because Bridgestone and some other companies still carriey some really nice 18" tires (the rear wheel is 18", the front is a standard 17") I think they make the BT-010 in 18".

All around, I'd say go for it. You can find them on Ebay all the time now for around 1500, and you'll probably get all that back when you sell it, because there are so many people looking for beginner bikes.

Sorry for the long post, just hope this helps out a little!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 06:33 AM

You may want to look at an older 93-95 zx6e. Fairly cheap, good wind protection, decent bike especially if you find the radian adequate in performance.

Down: it's not a yamaha as you would prefer, full body work which you didn't want but it'll give a nice ride on the highway with the wind protection?

Seca II and YZF600R coments above all sound about right too.

Repeal helmet laws, they only protect people we most likely don't need in the gene pool any way!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 08:48 PM

Wow, a year later from the post date and the advice is still rollin'.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode