K&N filter question, need help. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

K&N filter question, need help.

I just bought a K&N filter to replace my stock filter for my 2000 R6.
I was changing the plugs & decided to upgrade my filter but after installing the new filter the bike wouldn't pull past 4-6k on my tach before coughing, then it barely runs except @ very low RPMs. I checked to make sure I had done a good job of reconnecting everything from the plugs through the filter box & of course gas tank. No pinched hoses etc. Nothing left undone.
The original filter is a foam type with a plastic cage like thing that holds it in place, over a metal screen, inside the air filter box. The new filter fits in over the screen but the plastic cage like thing doesn't fit over it. Everything looks like it should work but it doesn't.
I reinstalled the original filter (after cleaning/oiling it) & the bike ran great
I should mention I know about treating K&N filters before installation & had done so.
I checked the K&N website to be sure that the filter number matched my bikes application, they did. The box had been opened & there wasn't any instructions so I don't know if anything else is missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 09:13 PM

hmmm thats odd !! , well they do say

you can feel the difference...maybe mr. k&n can help you out..hes pretty smart....hey hondadOOd...you out there??
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 09:49 PM

Im ignoring you ass-sponge...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 09:55 PM

ahh come out an play hondanut..

r6 needs your insight....and , cant we all just get along...you have your opinion(even if its nuts) and ill have mine...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 11:04 PM

When I got my k/n it was already oiled, maybe you got it too wet to flow any air when you treated it??????????

Sounds like it's not moving any air either way......
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
When I got my k/n it was already oiled, maybe you got it too wet to flow any air when you treated it??????????

Sounds like it's not moving any air either way......
I had wondered about that because I asked if it was pre-oiled & was told no. So I bought the kit & oiled it. I think your right in the way it acts is as if it's not getting enough air. Ironic in that I bought this filter to increase my air flow . I have the filter out now & I'm letting it dry out a little before I put it back in. I just hope that there's not a gasket or something missing. The place I bought it from is closed for the Memorial Day holiday so it will be awhile before I can ask them about it. I shouldn't have bought something that had been opened but it was the only one they had left.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 11:44 PM

I was always told that the R6 does better with the stock filter (Ram Air thing). I have also heard of having to cut some plastic parts out of the ar box.

As far as questioning your filter being pre oiled....
It should have come without oil. The filter will be colored white to show the areas that do not have oil. When you apply the oil the fabric will turn a reddish color. If your filter came oiled it would have been colored red.

If/when you do get your filter working, it would be a good idea to have it tested to see if the emissions run ok and not too lean.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by VYPIR
I was always told that the R6 does better with the stock filter (Ram Air thing). I have also heard of having to cut some plastic parts out of the ar box.

As far as questioning your filter being pre oiled....
It should have come without oil. The filter will be colored white to show the areas that do not have oil. When you apply the oil the fabric will turn a reddish color. If your filter came oiled it would have been colored red.

If/when you do get your filter working, it would be a good idea to have it tested to see if the emissions run ok and not too lean.
Thanks,

The filter was reddish in color & the oil in the kit made it even darker red. Regarding the cutting out some of the plastic in the airbox, was there some specific spots that needed to be cut out, something I'm not sure I want to do?
When you mentioned checking emissions are you referring to the same test you do when adjusting/synchronizing the carbs?
I know these are a lot of questions & I appreciate your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode