2002 Tls? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Anybody hear the rumor that Suzi is coming out in 2002 with a new TL1000S based bike that is supposed to compete with the FZ1 or the rumored Honda CB900? I saw a brief mention of it in a European mag. It's not the new 1400, 4 cylinder, that was in the latest US mags; it is supposed to be a design using a revised TL engine, as more of an all-around ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 09:37 PM
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Thumbs up Well...

....that seems to be the rumor. Supposedly, Suzuki is gonna do away with the TL series completely and take the TLS and revise it to become more like the FZ1 and ZRX. Really, the way I've heard it is that its just gonna be more like the Bandit series with a V-Twin motor. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Oh, and if you're wondering why a Ducati guy is responding to a Suzuki question....I just sold a 98 TL1000R, which by the way is an excellent bike, so I keep up with most Twin bikes of all makes. I just love the sound and the torque

PEACE!

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 09:38 AM

tls/sv

The last rumor I heard was they were going to do away with the TLS and make it a SV1000. Not sure what all the differences would be or why they would change the name. Time will tell I guess.

'98 TLS

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:27 AM

I've heard the same thing, only that the new bike will not be out until 2003. But it's supposed to be a big standard twin. Think nekkid SV650 but bigger!

Billy
97 TLS - It's all about the torque!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 02:15 PM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Smile

I've heard all of the above.

1) The TL might become an SV1000 due to the popularity of the SV and the waning popularity of the TL. (why didn't they just call the SV a TL650???)

2) The newest edition to the TL line might be a totally naked version, like the original SV released in the US three years ago: Straight handlebars, less aggressive foot pegs, no fairings or a little cafe fairing... Sounds interesting.

Why would they dumb down the TLs to compete with an FZ1 when it already IS a bike in the same class as the FZ1? Half naked, sport-cruiser, fun but not too aggressive?

*sigh*

Such are the things I wonder about...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 09:35 PM

Red face

All of the above echoes what I have heard about the TL series....
It seems a shame that the TL1000r never made a serious charge at the Ducati/Aprillia dominance of the V-twin race bikes.

I would love to be able to have a TL100R in the red/blue/white scheme!!

JIM

You don't stop riding because you get old;You get old because you stop riding!!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 10:31 PM

Fz1 and tls the same class????????your kidding right,i did a track day last week on my tls and there was a fz1 there.They have a serious ground clearance prob the guy riding it nearly wore a hole though the can while i was cruisin behind him on the tl ended up over takin him on the outside round a cnr at one stage and the next session down the straight.Talked to him during the day and he said he liked the fz1 but was not to flash for sport riding or the track

Buy treaded knee sliders,they give better grip in the wet.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 07:44 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxis
Fz1 and tls the same class????????your kidding right,i did a track day last week on my tls and there was a fz1 there.They have a serious ground clearance prob the guy riding it nearly wore a hole though the can while i was cruisin behind him on the tl ended up over takin him on the outside round a cnr at one stage and the next session down the straight.Talked to him during the day and he said he liked the fz1 but was not to flash for sport riding or the track
Okay,let me clarify MY thoughts on this. My main train of thought was it was a shame that the TL1000R,(note the "R"),was never fully developed to race in Superbike versus Ducati,Aprillia etc.(V-twins)
I can't speak for the others' statements here. And I sure was not refering to your little track days either. I could be telling you if I had a GSXR1000 I'd blow you off the track for making the FZ1 out to be a great race bike,which it was not designed to be. (Neither was the TL1000S!)
And the guy at the track,if he was serious about racing his TL1000S at the track,and his mufflers were dragging,could buy a different system that would improve his ground clearance.
To sum it up:
1. Too bad the TL1000R never made it as a full bore race bike.
2. We are mainly talking semi-naked "fun" bikes here like FZ1,ZRX,Honda Hawk996,etc.etc...and it will be interesting to see what Suzuki comes up as its replacement for the TL series.

Jim

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 02:22 PM

Ok lets see,
Fz1 inline 4 detuned r1 motor with high bars steel frame with a rake of 26 deg and a trail of 104 mm.To top it of a dry weight of 208kg.Tls V-twin with fi and ram air(doesn`t sound very detuned to me)Low bars,full ally frame with a rake of 23 and a trail of 94.5 mm(funny very simalar to 916)with a weight of 191kg.Just how are these to bikes in the same class they have tires?Gold wing and r1 are in the same class to hey?both have full fairing.Was the fz1 with a clearance prob to, wasnt just the can either was pegs as well but there is always rear sets and a after market can.So how you plan on fixing the slow steering of the fz1 gas axe?As for the gsxr 1000 comment,id like to see that alot of ppl are having trouble with that much bike,amazing bike if your can handle it but with your comments i guess you have only been riding a short time

Buy treaded knee sliders,they give better grip in the wet.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 04:47 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxis
Ok lets see,
Fz1 inline 4 detuned r1 motor with high bars steel frame with a rake of 26 deg and a trail of 104 mm.To top it of a dry weight of 208kg.Tls V-twin with fi and ram air(doesn`t sound very detuned to me)Low bars,full ally frame with a rake of 23 and a trail of 94.5 mm(funny very simalar to 916)with a weight of 191kg.Just how are these to bikes in the same class they have tires?Gold wing and r1 are in the same class to hey?both have full fairing.Was the fz1 with a clearance prob to, wasnt just the can either was pegs as well but there is always rear sets and a after market can.So how you plan on fixing the slow steering of the fz1 gas axe?As for the gsxr 1000 comment,id like to see that alot of ppl are having trouble with that much bike,amazing bike if your can handle it but with your comments i guess you have only been riding a short time

You do know there IS a difference between a TLS and a TLR,right??? I was just commenting it's a shame the TLR never progressed to a top level competition bike.
As far as your sarcastic comments....I have been riding for thirty four years.....how about you??
A lot of how a bike performs is the rider's ability not necessarily just bike,keep that in mind too. And yes ground clearance,modifications,etc,etc,yada,yada......
The whole basis of the start of this forum posting WAS:what will Suzuki do to replace the TL series,not which is better than which! If you want to argue,fine,but that will have to come from someone other than me!!
We are talking about a "Style" of bike here,not comparing performance figures,ok?? You know full fairing, half fairing and naked,okay?? You know: will it be similar to the SV650s?? A style of bike like Strada said:"All around riding."
Relax....don't be so angry...sheesh!!

JIM

Last edited by katana600; 07-15-2001 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode