'92 kat owners manual - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2001, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Question

I am looking for a bit of help please...
I recently bought a '92 Kat 600, and the previous owner did not have an owners manual or repair manual. The bike is in great shape and has been very well maintained, and I am hoping to keep it that way! I was hoping someone had a scanned manual with some specs and simple maintainance instructions, which you would be willing to email me.
Any input is appreciated.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 06:30 PM

Thumbs up kat600

Hiya!!
I have a 1992 Kat600. I am the original owner and have the original owner's manual. Is there something I can help you with??

Jim

You don't stop riding because you get old;You get old because you stop riding!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim for the offer.
So far I have been very pleased with my decision to buy this bike. Although it may get a few raspberries from the 'racerboy' types as heavy and slow, it serves my purpose well. I am an ordinary guy who just wants to ride through the mountains on a sunny day and enjoy the road safely. But back to my question...
Just this morning I went to start up my bike, turned the key, and nothing! No dash lights, nothing.. I tried to jump start it but was unsuccessful. (It must have been quite a sight for the neighbours as my wife was helping push in her pj's and running shoes ). I was stumped as the bike has started effortlessly every day for the last 3 weeks when it came out of winter hibernation.
I took the battery to the shop and the tech put it on a trickle changer for the night, but felt the battery is probably shot as the water levels were down past the low mark. Whats your guess? Battery? or could it be just a loose connection somewhere? Maybe both? If a battery gets a little low on water is it typically fatal?

A few more quick questions Jim, What is the capacity of the fuel tank? How big is the reserve?

There are dials on the top of the fork tubes with a 1-2-3. What is this, suspension adjustments? What should they be set to?

Thanks Jim, and everyone else for your input....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 12:05 PM

Hey Derf:

Sorry for the slowness in responding......
The knob on the forks is for rebound adjustment.I have mine set on 2. You can adjust the rear shock's preload and also its rebound too.
The fuel tank is 20.0 liters or 5.3 gallons. The reserve as I recall is one gallon.
There is a circuit breaker located under the seat.If it has tripped a red button will have popped out,push it in to reset.
My original battery lasted 'bout 5 years, but I constantly maintenanced it.Getting a "bit" low on water is not bad but still should be between the upper and lower level marks.Check your connections and make sure they are clean and tight!!
You can Email me too if you have other questions!!
Have fun riding!!

Jim

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

thanks Jim,
As it turned out, the problem was only a loose connection to the battery post. Back on the road having spent $5 and a few 'thank you's' to the tech

Rod
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 03:52 PM

Cool YEAH!!

Hey Derf..glad you are back on the road!!
The fixes that are cheap and done by oneself are the best!!
Where in BC are u located??(Near the border??)

Jim

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

I am in Cranbrook in South East BC, about 1 hr to the border, and 3 hours to Spokane.

Thanks for all the help with the simple questions, but since I didn't pass 'motorcycle maintenance kindergarten' I am at your and the local shops mercy

I have noticed the last few days that the bike has been idling very high, 3-4000 rpm, for at least the first 15 min of a ride, then it kicks down to its normal 1500 range. I started the bike today without using the choke thinking a sticky cable may be the culprit, but it happened again today. Any thoughts?

I have been getting about 42 to 44 mpg, is this similar to you?

Thanks, Rod
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 07:39 PM

Hey Derf:

The high idle could be caused by several things:sticking throttle cable,(routine maintenance ya know;gotta be lubed!!)or possibly a vacuum leak.Cable adjustment??Or??
Take this question over to Sage's forum and ask him and see what he may come up with!?!?
Since I have modified the Kat I am not sure till I check it ,as far as the mpg goes,but 50 to 55 mpg was not uncommon when the Kat was stock.I live at sea level and that makes a difference too.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode