SV650 or SV650 S - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Question

Ok, let me set the scene. My mother has a '99 600 Shadow that she hardly rides. I've put about 9/10ths of the miles on it that it has. The plastic sides rub her thighs and hurts her legs after a long ride. They are different from her old '94 and she doesn't like it.

My Dad has an 1100 Shadow Spirit. Nice bike but he can't exactly hang with me in the curves. He wants a sportbike but doesn't really want to get rid of his Shadow either.

I have an F4. A blast in the curves, plenty of "Go-Fun", and for the most part comfortable. But I have a bad back and would occasionally like something a little more comfortable.

Enter the SV-650. This is the plan. Sell the 600 Shadow. Buy and SV. Mom has something to ride when we all ride. Dad has something that can handle curves fairly well when just he and I ride. I have something to ride when I'm riding by myself or with Rhonda on the back when my back isn't feeling so well or I just want to ride something "different" from my F4.

Well this is all find and grand except that finding a standard SV around here is damn near impossible. Either the dealers don't have them or they sell them within days of putting them on the floor.

The faired "S" model on the other hand is EVERYwhere. And in any color you want so long as its blue or red.

In Evansville they are asking $6,100 plus all the additional fees. It ends up (if you finance through them) being $148.00 a month. So I told them I'd wait until their next standard comes in (roughly one month unless they find one at another dealer and then the cost of shipping it from them comes in).

I called the only truly local dealership (luckily a suzuki shop) and asked if they had one. A faired one. The owner didn't even know they made a non-faired one. So he does some looking up and is willing to sell it to me for $5,700 bucks plus whatever the extra charges are.

Now some questions. Good price I assume seeing as its 100 bucks less that retail for the NON-faired model. BUT, is the bike anymore comfortable than my F4? My wrists start to hurt on long rides on my bike. That is why I liked the idea of a standard. Same goes for the pegs. Are they more comfortable than the F4?

That bad thing is that this totally defeats what I was looking for. A naked V-twin with handlebars. But does the price make up for that?

Opinions? Would love to hear them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:47 AM
Squidwannabe

No, the SVS is not more comfortable than an F4. Perhaps the SV.

You Mom I doubt would like an SV, it is a standard bike and probably not as comfy as a shadow ? Or it not the comfort factor and just the plastic piece bugging her ?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Guess it depends upon how you look at it. A Shadow puts you in one position. I consider my F4 more comfortable because I can move around. Cruisers put pressure in one place and leave you there. She used to ride standards long ago (she's been riding a LONG time) and found them more comfortable than the Shadow. She rides it because she can touch the ground.

Most older standards she had to deal with tippy toeing on one foot. The SV she just tippy toes. Both toes firmly planted

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 04:53 AM

I have an SVS and an F4. The SVS is more comfortable to me, but it is still a sportbike position--clip ons and rear set pegs. Not extreme at all, but not a standard or cruiser rider position, either. The standard position on the regular SV will be more comfortable to most non-sportbike riders, IMO, as I think the sportbike position is one you have to get used to, just like the difference between a mountain bicycle and a road racing bicycle. So your mom may not like the SVS as much as the SV, but you will enjoy the SVS. It is a hoot to ride (but they both are). Not an F4, but fun.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 08:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to wacky_woodchuck
For mom, I would go with the SV. The SVS would be too hard on the wrists fo some one switching from a Shadow. The SV is just as fun as the SVS. It, IMHO, is better than the SVS. I like the sit up and beg riding position. It just begs for monster wheelies. It's light very flickable ans will stay with any sport bike in the twisties. Just add a Mini fairing and it's comfortable all day long.

Any specifics, just ask... I own one... So I may be a little biased ;-)

If I was looking for a new bike though, it would definetly be a Nice silver Honda CBR F4i

Cheers... Mike

Mike

2000 Suzuki SV 650
1981 Yamaha XT 250
1978 Yamaha RD400E
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 11:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
The SV is more comfortable than the F4. The SV is more comfortable than the SVS but there isn't a lot of difference. I believe the clip-ons are about 1.5-2 inches lower and that is about the only difference in position. The bike is an absolute blast to ride. SVs are available but you may need to shop around some. They don't stay on the floor long because they are so popular with racers.

Buy either one and everyone in your family will enjoy it.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 01:48 PM

I started out wit the SV and graduated to the 900RR. The SV was a great bike, but I think deep down I really wanted a rocket. As far as comfort went the SV couldn't be beat. The only difference between the SV and the SVS is the fairing anf set back foot pegs. The fairing looks stupid in my opinion, and yes that is only my opinion. I liked the street fighter look of the SV alot, it was also very reliable and got a lot of compliments.

Don't sweat the petty stuff! And don't pet the sweaty stuff!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 03:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
Quote:
Originally posted by Digweed
I started out wit the SV and graduated to the 900RR. The SV was a great bike, but I think deep down I really wanted a rocket. As far as comfort went the SV couldn't be beat. The only difference between the SV and the SVS is the fairing anf set back foot pegs. The fairing looks stupid in my opinion, and yes that is only my opinion. I liked the street fighter look of the SV alot, it was also very reliable and got a lot of compliments.
Don't forget the SVS has clip-ons and they are lower.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 06:55 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn

Don't forget the SVS has clip-ons and they are lower.
A lot lower!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I've sat on an SVS. Liked it but just sitting on one doesn't tell you how it rides or feels while riding. Have yet to find an SVS. Still looking though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode