TLS vs. VTR - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 98 VTR1000. I'm debating a TLS, mainly for the increased gas capacity and fuel injection. Anybody have a TLS, and can tell me how it is living with one? Fit, finish, quality, comfort, day to day manners, service costs?

Background- I don't race or track days (yet), but a pretty fair amount of backroad scratching, and a few touring miles. I'm 6', 175 lbs., 12 yrs. riding experience, don't do much 2-up riding. I think that covers it- so,any input?

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 09:53 AM

I recently bought a 97 TLS after riding a 95 VFR and a 99 SV. First let me say that the 97 TLS is the bike I've lusted after since Suzuki introduced it. That being said (now you see my shameless bias) I can tell you that the 97 sucks on gas - I get between 30-37 mpg depending on how hard/how many wheelies I'm doing. I've been told that the newer models get slightly better mileage, but sacrifice a little power to get there (the 97 makes between 114-120 stock rwhp, 98's and newer make around 106-108). As far as everyday reliability, the three 97's I am familiar with (mine and my buddy has 2) have all been bullet-proof. One of his has over 35k. I bought mine with 1781 miles and have put a little over 2k on it in 3.5 months. No problems. With regards to handling, it ain't no SV, but I found it to be surprisingly agile, even at low speeds with the damper. I've also found it to be a good commuter (15 miles each way to work, 3 days a week) and short tourer. The injection has also been flawless. BTW, I'm 5'9", 160 if that helps. If you can't tell I love my TL and the more I ride it, the more I really enjoy it! If you do buy a 97, just make sure the recall work was done to the fuel tank and ECU. Happy hunting!

Billy
97 TLS - It's all about the torque!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 09:55 AM

Cool TLS

Never rode a VTR, but I can tell you that I LOVE my TLS. I have had a '94 GSXR-750, a '98 GSXR-600, but the TL blows them both away. The power is very addicting. I don't do track days yet either and I am not sure I would with my street bike, but I have a blast whenever we go riding. The noise from a twin is awesome. As for the mileage, well, that is something I do miss from the gixxers. I went up two teeth in the rear and have a Yosh full system on it. If I drove in a restrained sort of way, I would probably get about 120 - 130 miles before I would need to fill up. Usually, with city driving and goosing the throttle all the time, I get around 100 miles to the tank. But I never had as much fun on the other bikes as I do with this one. Good luck and keep us informed what you do.

'98 TLS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the input.....think I'm gonna go up to the dealer and check one out today. It's nice out finally...so I'll ride my bike up and hop on one in full gear and see how it fits. Let you know how it goes.

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 09:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rodm850g
Wink TLSvsVTR

Guys,
Its like a no brainer,TheTLS is the winner hands down.
Yeah,yeah,yeah I know the Honda contigent will scream down on me but the truth is welcome in heaven! I got one them back in 97,haven't looked back yet. Before I got my TL I rode same old {screen name sake} for 14 years,good bike but exact opposite of TL.
Done most of the usual mods,brake lines,pads, did away with Suzi damper for Paoili unit that is adjustable.
Pipe from Indigo,a high fit race system w/carbon cans. Got new version ECU and better fuel economy. Can get 40 around town,mostly in hi 30s. BIKE is fast,saw a thread about TLr tht outran almost everything. Mabey he does I dont know and dont care, mine is paid for
and does averything I need it to do,dont got to prove anything to anybody.....but now a friendly breakfast run to Chapel Hill from home will make a believer...P.S.
Somebody was asking about tires....trying a set of Rennsports from Metzeler,in RS2 compound so far after scuff in like glule.....prolly be gone in 2500 miles...
who cares.......

damn all this talking/typing crap I'm going riding...
which one
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 01:18 PM

40 mpg?

What kind of ECU did you get to get 40 mpg? Wow, I feel lucky if I can get mid 30's. Of course, the throttle hand doesn't help. Did you get remapped with the yosh box or the PC II?

'98 TLS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode