Unusual Wishlist SV650 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I know this seems a little out there, but where I live, we've got mondo off-road areas plus great mountain twisties. I've been thinking that Suzuki could grab a big chunk of the Dual Sport market with setting up that sweet SV 650 w/c v-twin in a long travel light " Paris-Dakar" type format. Something about 350 pounds with that great motor. There seems to be a big hole in the market for something just like that. The FS650 BMW's pricey and a single (bzzzzzzz), so are the KTM's. Kinda a SuperMottard ready for a sea to sea run.

Your thoughts?
Regards,
Kev

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 08:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
that's a market totally ignored here in the states. anyone remember the tdm850?

hey tahoe, why's the 7 parked??

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

The ZX arrived without previous discussion to the other half. Bad choice. Up for sale. (but not the others)

Toys are great, but somethings are simply more important.

(However, the DR-350 may be replaced, and a sporty 650 V-twin that could handle fire roads and easy trails would be a welcome replacement, it would also satisfy the sportier approach to the twisties)

While the RK may seem like a lump compared to all the great sportbikes represented here, it's been massaged a bit and actually does fairly well (considering my limited abilities). I did the Race Tech Gold Valves along with Progressive's high-end shocks along with motor mods (cam, injection, pistons & head work) to yield mid-80's in hp and monster torque. I'm not a poser or "lifestyle" wannabee, I love all bikes and have ridden for nearly 30 years now. The RK is simply the most beautiful bike I've owned and one hour on it will "make the world right" for me.

But I'd still like a quick, light, DS bike that would readily convert to spirited street riding (without buzzing me to death like a big single)

Ride safe,
Kev

(and no, I don't recall a TDM 850, what was it?)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 10:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
in 92 and 93, yamaha was big into importing the coolest and most unusual bikes. the gts1000 was one, radd front-end, omega frame, fzr1000 motor in a sporttouring package.

they also brough over the tdm850. it was an 850cc parallel twin, in a paris-dakar setup. really cool bike. if you can find one, it may be what you're looking for. it's sporty enough to hang with the squids, dual sport enough to hit some fire roads (but wouldn't try any serious off-road stuff). over actually put the tdm motor in either an fzr600 or 400 frame.

it's a parallel twin which means it's like a 360* crank and i'll still shake like hell, but you never know, maybe yamaha found someway to balance them that triumph and bsa never could.

there's not a lot of info on the web for the u.s. model, you can see the euro and aussy versions that they make today.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 08:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to wacky_woodchuck
I would love Suzuki to make something along the lines of Honda's famous Africa Twin. I mean come on, that thing rocked, and we in the US never got it. I got to ride one in Canda though, and it was sweet. it has the Hawk Gt's Motor in it (another 650 V-twin). Nice. Real Nice. Or I can hope for Honda to come out with a new updated Hawk, and then intorduce us Americans to the Africa Twin then....

The TDM was okay, but not really up to par on the Africa Twins level.

I am just hoping for something that is a "cross over" to come out. More street than a Dual sport, but more dirt than a standard...

Cheers... Mike

Mike

2000 Suzuki SV 650
1981 Yamaha XT 250
1978 Yamaha RD400E
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Yep, Woodchuck, that's right along the lines I was thinking. Perhaps the new KTM with the LX8 motor or a revamped Gran Canyon form Cagiva, but I do like Japanese simplicity, reliability and price.

BTW: I grew up near you in a little town called Marcellus, outside Syracuse. Did a lot of twisty stuff up in the Adirondaks too! Spring's just around the corner there.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 10:25 AM

Smile

Ah, I would love a twin engine like the SV650's in a supermotard type arrangement.....
I used to lust after a Honda Transalp- I think they were here for a few years, maybe 88-90? They seemed to have been slagged by the moto-press as not having enough power, but I would think you could massage that package into something better.....I would still buy one if I could find it. An updated version of that would be spectacular.
The big twins they have over the sea are great, I wish there was enough interest in the States to warrant getting them, bikes like the Honda Africa Twin mentioned by the Woodchuck. The TDM 850 was nice; I wanted one of those too, but I was only 19 at the time and didn't have the bucks when I saw one at the dealer.

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode