Suzuki total domination? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Rob Nance Send a message via Yahoo to Rob Nance
This is going to be a very interesting year for Suzuki to say the least. Nobody has come out and said it, but from what it looks like so far, Suzuki is going to have the highest rear wheel horsepower for the 600, 750, 1000, AND the ZX-12, XX, what I call the big-ass-sportbike class, the Hayabusa. R6, R1, both dethroned in one year it would appear. I think it's great, this just means in 2002, we will see the other companies stepping up As far as around the track, many people complain that they all feel the same, with just more horsepower, but, it's a good track design, so...I think that is more bike mag whining, than a real problem.

Anyhow, I am sure this will spark up some debate, but, it would appear that Suzuki is going to be the bike to have, for any class this year (when it comes to raw power and track prowess).

Rob Nance
Austin, TX
1997 Suzuki GSX-R 750
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 12:06 PM

Judging from last year's gsxr750, they will definitely be #1 in recalls!

Big Kahuna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Kahuna; 03-01-2004 at 01:24 PM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 12:44 PM

Having been a victim of Suzuki's habit of using their clientele test their product, I have to agree with BK. I wish they would finish the R&D cycle (A la Honda) before releasing something to the public.

Mojo

"I always get screwed by the system. It's my job.
I'm the universe's bitch." - Drew Carey

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Rob Nance Send a message via Yahoo to Rob Nance
What problems have you all had? I hear all of these folks on the message boards talk about this, but I have never met anyone in real life who have had problems.

Rob Nance
Austin, TX
1997 Suzuki GSX-R 750
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 01:51 PM

Unhappy

As far as the Hayabusa and the other big boys continuing to push the envelope,will the Feds step in as rumoured and put limits on the top speed capabilites of these bike as equiped from the factory?? This will be interesting to watch too. I think they are considering doing this in Europe too.

JIM

You don't stop riding because you get old;You get old because you stop riding!!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 03:38 PM

Well, personally, I had a horrible tank slapper on my TL1000R that could have been prevented by properly engineered and tested suspension. The result was a pretty bad wreck that cost me a broken elbow and a lot of pain. The new GSXR has had problems like a grenading tranny. They really need to finish developement before release. You don't hear about Hondas having these types of problems.

Mojo

"I always get screwed by the system. It's my job.
I'm the universe's bitch." - Drew Carey
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 04:03 PM

The R1 has had its batch of recalls but has also failed to recall the most dangerous defect of all, the exploding rear hub! Honda was doing great until the 929 had a small fuel line and then the more serious clutch recall. That's what you get for trying to keep up with the competition by pushing out a bike before its time.

Now Hondas new RC51 has been out for almost a year now, with no recalls. Im sure that bike has been in development far longer than the 929 and wasnt released until it was ready.

My 98 900RR has had ZERO defects and the best 900RR Honda has ever build. Im glad they dont call the new bike a 900RR as I think the 929 strays from the character and craftsmanship of its predecessors.

Big Kahuna

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 05:48 PM

Thumbs up Well look who showed their face!

Glad to see you posting Kahuna! BTW, even with all the hot new models out, Im very satisfied with my 99RR. Like you said, I also have not had ANY defects or problems and Im thankfull.

I always wondered why Suzukis came standard with a steering dampner. To me that is saying that they are compensating for bad geometry. Isnt it??

"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand-right foot-left hand-right hand"
~James Patterson

Kyle J.-
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 06:19 PM
Resident Smartass

By that logic all racebikes are "compensating for bad geometry" huh? Same for the 916/996/748?
I'm still very leery about Suzy's quality issues, but steering dampers have nothing to do with it.

Suck mean people!
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 07:59 PM

Tristan, First let me say that I am, by NO means, any kind of Steering geometry expert. Im just wondering really.

I can understand for severe conditions, such as racing, that a steering damper be necessary. But why does Suzuki put them on as standard equipment on their bikes? It just seems like a cover-up to me.

Here is where Im coming from: When I was looking into a 600 class bike, I got to test ride a GSXR600 and the damn thing had head shake on the test ride! Then I knew I was on the wrong path and headed straight for the Honda dealer

"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand-right foot-left hand-right hand"
~James Patterson

Kyle J.-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode