new question~! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

okay. heres a question....

im debating whether or not to sell my gixxer 750 98' to get a 2000 used gixxer 750. my question is, have any of you ridden both models and hit some twisties with them?... i have ridden a 00' 750 but not enough to determine if it is that different from my 98'..
IS it? in you opinion?

also... i plan to get on the track with which ever bike i have. If the two models are different when you ride them the canyons, can they be set up to feel the same on the track?.. i know the weight difference would make a big difference.. but im juss wondering al together.. are they different enough to sell my bike thats paid for.. and come up with a couple extra thousand to get a y2k gixxer 750.

dont get me wrong... i love my bike, but i figure if im going to race it alittle, i might as well learn from the newest breed of race bikes right?..

let meknow your guys' opinion.. thanks all and have a happy new year~!

joseph
mosdefjos F

buying? needa refinance?? call me..
X marks the spot, sign at the X

*crossing my fingers*... so i dont crash..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 06:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rob Nance Send a message via Yahoo to Rob Nance
I would say hang onto the bike that you know it's history. That's just me. Also, I imagine your bike with a re-mapped fuel injection via a power commander, would probably be around the same output as that 2000. The 98 was of course the first year for the FI, and the fuel injection mapping still needed a bit of work.

The differences between a 98 and 2000 I would tend to say are so finite that unless at the limits of the bike, would be hard to differentiate.

Others step forward with your thoughts, that's just mine.

Rob Nance
Austin, TX
1997 Suzuki GSX-R 750
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 04:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
the 00 750 has a much better seating position (higher, and nicer seat).

i street raced my friend on his mildly worked 96 750 (120 rwhp, shorter gearing) and i was able to pass him on a straight on my stock 2000 (which only put out 118.6 on the same dyno).

other than that, the bikes are fairly similair.

you may wanna consider keeping your 98 and buying a cheap lw bike to use at the track.

my fzr uses $200/set bt56ss's and this set has lasted three trackdays and a race weekend.

your gsxr will use $350-400/set d207*'s or 208's or pilots, etc. and will not last more than two weekends or trackdays.

plus for the price of bodywork and a shock, you can buy a race-prepped lw.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:26 AM
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
I haven't personally rode both, but I have a friend who has a 98 and has ridden and fell in love with the silver y2k1. He doesn't want to trade his in though, he wants both

John
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 02:33 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a '98, but have recently come into a bit of $$ and would be able to purchase a new 750. My two cents:

Keep the '98. Spend a bit of money to beef it up with new exhaust, PC II, smoked windscreen and some cool stickers. Take the money you saved and buy a track bike you won't mind dropping. Tough choice.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Talking a good answer~!.. grasshoppa...

ya know.. i have tossed the question around for awhile.. whether or not to get a two stroke track ready bike... but i keep hearing that its a lot of maintenance.. plus i hear the two strokes when you first ride em are hard to ride at the track.. cuz every gears wants to wheelie.. and beyond that.. what bike? rg? honda? yamaha? 125cc 250 cc?

anyhow. back to the original question.. i know the new 750 is a new breed.. and iknow with a little work... i could have a mean 98 that will outdo a stock gixxer2k.. but my question was aimed at the limits of both bikes.. not juss puttin down the strip wit a *high maintenence* girll on the back...sorry if i offended any women.. hehe.. j/k

anyhow2.. i plan to sell my bike for $6200 or so.. and investing a little more cash to get a y2k.. but thanks for all your guys info so far.. and by anymeans.. more would be appreciated..

thanks all and have a prosperous new year..

joseph
mosdefjos f

buying? needa refinance?? call me..
X marks the spot, sign at the X

*crossing my fingers*... so i dont crash..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode