Sportbike World banner

gixxer 750

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  jwelshjr 
#1 ·
Does anyone out in cyber world have the new 750 or ridden one? Just wondering what your opinion is. I've only sat on the ones at the dealership and thought it had a nice feel. I'd like to ride one, but there hasn't been any new ones on the street around here yet.

#4 ·
I'll leave all the back door knocking to you and RCJohn :D
I didn't think any current members had one, but maybe they have ridden one. The "have" portion was aimed at lurking guests that might own one. Guess I was using luring tactics so anyone out in cyber world reading who has a 750 would sign up ;) BTW- is this how you flirt with people, by harassing them :D

#8 ·
thanks squid (oops),

glad someone remembered me and my little gsxr.

i have an early 00 750. it's a neat bike, traditional gsxr. no bottom, weak mid, lots of top end.

i think it's easier to ride than the previous gsxr, but i didn't own one so i was a little tentative when i'd ride 'em.

you sit higher in the seat. the new bike is comfy (but i'm a little under 5'10), big trunk, soft seat.

it handles better than any bike i've spent any amount of time with. the only bike i've ridden that i liked better was a 916.

it handles great (only used d207zr's on it). r1's are differently torqueier (is that a word) and are probably better streetbikes, but they feel weird to me.

it's been reliable.

i like the fuel injection.

i love the bike, it's a keeper.
------------------------------------
downsides:

if you wanna big tire, not for you.

stock brake pads have no bite. they work, but i like ebc's better, lines coming too (i feel this way about every stock bike).

hard on tires. my f2 would get about 3500-4000 miles a rear, the gsxr rear lasted 2200, front 3300 (d207's on both).--also owner is partially to blame, i like lower pressures and don't care about burning up tires.

springs are too soft for fat boys like me. but still livable on the street.

stock steering dampner is supposed to make it steer heavy, but i like it.

sticker quality is kinda crappy on mine (newer ones seem better).
-----------------------------------
that's all i can think of.

if you have any more specific questions, ask.

i live by twisties and that's all i pretty much ride. if that's your situation, it's a great bike. the 600 may be even better for it.

[Edited by cbrf2boy on 12-14-2000 at 01:33 PM]

#10 ·
Guilty as charged!

I also have 2000 GSXR 750. I agree with everything that cbrf2boy said about the gixxer. But I would also like to add a few things.

It is as light as an R6 but feels bigger. Probably because of the long tank and far reach to the the grips. Much smaller feel than a TLR.

My friend who is 6 foot something has problems with knee clearance. I am 5'8" and it fits me perfect.

The bike is low in torque when compared to a liter bike but if you are moving up from a 600 (or other 750s for that matter) you will be quit happy.

The stock steering damper does make low speed steering heavy but saves you from slappers if you like to do squidly behavior like waiving your front tire in the air:).

As far as tire wear is concerened. I have never done a brake torque but due to the high hp/weight ratio the rear tire does seem to wear faster than other bikes in the same class. For instance my rear tire had the same wear at 2500 miles as my brother's R6 with over 6000 miles (both are 207s).

I am a light weight (only 145-150lbs) so the springs are more than firm enough for me.

For 2000 Suzuki chose to decrease rear tire size from a 190 to a 180. The reasons: less unsprung weight, faster flickabilty (left-right), and most tires 190 and up are just for looks anyway. They do not improve handling.

I have had now problems with mine and the fuel injection does work great.

I plan on keeping it for a long time. Well atleast until it is paid off:D!

#11 ·
I got a 2001 GSXR750

Hey all...I have been trying for the past week to register to this website. It kept saying I was registered but then it wouldn't let me post reply's but looks like things are fixed now!

I bought my Y2K+1 GSXR750 on 11/1/00 here in Arizona. I got the black/silver/red color scheme, and I am currently the only one here with this bike! I am relatively knew to riding...I haven't been on a bike in about 2 years, and the last bike I rode regularly was a 89 Honda Hurricane for about 1 year. I am glad to have a bike again!! I have 2000 miles on it already, and the bike is running great.

#12 ·
Glad you are back into riding!!
We have several good members down in AZ. Hopefully you will get to meet them and do some riding.
For all of us who have our winter riding determined by the weather.......GO FOR IT!!!!!!!:):):)
JIm

#13 ·
hi all, i own a 01 gsxr750 and so far love the thing to death, honestly though the bike is still in its breaking in period which sucks big time as you cant really open the bike up and see how good and quick it really is. however, my contribution to your question jk6672 is that so far ive noticed the bike tends to vibrate a bit at low speed but im not to sure if thats got anything to do with the yoshi pipe ive put on it, does anyone else experience this prob? but apart from that, it's light, it's quick, and easy to flick around, with great power delivery! (from what ive been able to get out of it so far) hahaha!
hope that helps you out a bit!

#14 ·
I have an '01 GSX R750, have it for about a month now and put about 1500 miles on it. This is a GREAT bike. I love riding this thing on open twisty roads with no lights, unfortunately being in the NYC area those roads are few and far between. That aside when you get this bike to a place where you can really use it, and I mean never drop below 40 MPH, this bike is really fun. Handles awesome, keeps you confident as you lean the bike over. I am still learning how to ride this bike and am sure that as I get more confident and skilled, the bike will be right there for me and then beg me for more. The low end on this thing as previously mentioned is not good, once you rev it over 8,000 rpm the acceleration is awesome all the way to redline. You never feel like you are being thrown off the bike under heavy acceleration, this is due to that incredibly extreme riding position. Fortunately I am only about 5'7" so the bike is pretty comfortable for me, a taller rider though may not feel as good. This bike SUCKS in NYC traffic or even normal NYC driving. The stop and go is treterous and not fun on the Gixxer. I don't suggest you use this as a daily rider unless your daily ride is through the canyons.

#15 ·
2k v. 2k1?

Has anyone compared the two years? I'm looking at the 750's and I want to know if there's any difference in riding position, FI, chassis/handling, etc. I'd find out myself but I don't know anyone with either bike. Bummr. :) Thanks, gentlemen!!

#16 ·
Yea I've riden a new GSXR 750

My brother just bought a 2001 GSXR750 and I took it for a short run. I hadn't riden a bike b4 then in about 4 years & to tell the truth I was a bit appehensive. This bike F'in moves and is so light it's ridiclous, well after that run I went out 2 days later & bought a new bike myself w/ the $ I was saving to buy a house. Well, I guess I gotta live home for another few months but it's worth it.

#18 ·
gotone

Ive got a 2k1 blue and white 750. Basically it friggin rocks. The best bike ive ever thrown a leg over. It isnt a beginner bike.... it a razor blade. It does need better brake pads though that dosent keep me from doin sweet rollin stoppies. Power is great, even better now i got a pipe and gears. It is a hooligan machine, cant wait to try it out on the track!

#19 ·
I have had my blue/white y2k1 GSXR 750 for just over a month. I have over 2000 miles on it already.

I must say that most everything said so far is accurate. I am 5'5" and 140 pounds. The stock suspension setup is too hard. After adjusting all the settings down (especially preload) I found the bike much more enjoyable.

The power characteristics are not for the faint of heart. Down low there is nothing and stop lights can be embarrassing on a good hot day (I kill it if I don't really goose it).

At a little over 7000rpm you better be hanging on because it gets a kick in the ass. Just when you get settled with the accelleration, it ups the ante at 10,000 and screams to the redline tapping the front wheel every every few feet. This is where the steering damper saves you ass and keeps things under control. Shift to the next gear and start all over again.

I've had mine to an indicated 180mph leaving my friends R1 about 30ft back.

We have had both of the bikes to the drag track and my GSXR got a 10.9s 1/4 compared to his R1 at 10.8s 1/4. A tenth of a second difference isn't bad for 250cc less.

The R1 is more comfortable and has much smoother power delivery but the GSXR is true to the "rocket" title.

EW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.