I'm looking at getting my starter bike here is my current offer.. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

I'm looking at getting my starter bike here is my current offer..

Well a guy has a 1993 Katana 750 with 33k miles on it

he told me he could take 2k for it. It looks pretty good and doesn't look to be dropped hard (from the pics I saw) just minor scratches and a small dent in the tank.. probably dropped when not at speed...

He told me he would get any specific pics I ask for.. what else should I ask/look for in this bike? He says it runs good and is ready to go with newer tires. Says it doesn't need anything mechanically that he knows of. Also if anyone wants I'll post the pics up I have and if there are any specific pics I should get let me know. It would be a couple hours drive to go look at it in person so it wouldn't be worth my time unless I was actually sure it was a good bike to get. (excluding any forseen issues)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
The only way to be sure is to have a trusted bike mechanic look at it. They can find things that you can't.

That said, what kind of riding experience do you have? That bike is fine to start on provided you know the basics (i.e. you've ridden other bikes or taken the MSF).

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Well I have only had experience with a classic 175 yamaha enduro 2 stroke dirtbike. At the time I was shorter and actually had a hard time putting both feet on the ground lol. I used to ride it hard and abuse it and I can work a clutch on just about anything you put me on.. well except I'm usually over cautious and stall it rather than popping the clutch at higher RPM. (when I'm first learning that particular machine)

I'm somewhat worried about being able to balance it since I have researched tht they are a little heavy. I'm a big guy at 5'11" 250 pounds.

When I do for sure go get a bike I'm going to see if my older cousin will go with me to test ride it for me to make sure everything is shifting and acting fine. Do you know anything else I should be asking him that could turn my interest away or for you guys to help turn my interest away. It's good to find things like that before going through the hassle of waisting effort to check it out in person (it will actually be a few hour drive from me i think)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 AM

First, ask him to start the engine when its cold. Most of the carburated gremlins hide once the engine warms up. With the engine cold to the touch, it should be abit hard to start, but nothing too bad. Its ok for the exhaust to smoke a little while the choke is on, but it should be blue smoke (fuel) not black (oil).
Check around the seals on the forks, there should be no oil there.
Try both brakes. The lever should feel firm, not spongy.
Check all the electricals.
Look for dents in the rims

Thats all I can think off right now...

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

thanks, yeah I'll make sure I her it running and I want to try to make sure my cousin takes it for a spin. The only issue is Idk if I can get him to go considering it's quite a drive and this is a cousin who I'm not really close to but would probably help me out if he can. I'll keep the cold motor start in mind.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Strength and Honor

Well, motorcyclists generally like to help each other out so you might be surprised. I have helped a few myself, sportbike and HD alike. Its an expectation I have of nearly all riders, intuitively.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 AM

If you don't know anything about bikes, take someone. THeer are so many little things you won't realize until you have one a little.

Best advise. Once you buy it get the valves checked, bleed and replace all fluid and filters just to be safe.

2001 GSXR 600
- Full Yosh exhaust
- Frame sliders
- Sprockets from previous owner??

2004 GTO M6
- JBA catless mids and catback
- DBA drilled/slotted rotors
- KNN CAI
- ported TB/intake manifold
- custom tune
- 05/06 rear bumper
- 35% tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode