rf600 for $500....yes or no? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation rf600 for $500....yes or no?

i have never rode a sport bike before , but i really want one. i went to my friends friend house the other day and they had a bike behind there house just sitting there for about 2 months they siad.(they guy just dropped it off, he took the back tire off to put on his other bike)do you think this is a good beginner bike...im 6,3 170 pounds

$500 for a suzuki rf600( i dont know the model as of yet) 13900 miles.its needs some work.but to get it up in running it needs a new chain,new tires, shifter and it will be ready to run.

now ive been looking up rims and tires and cant anything for a rf600 , so can anybody point in the right direction , like....how much would a rear rim tire and sprocket cost all together maybe.do you think this is a good buy?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Strength and Honor

$500 for a bike is a pretty good deal (what year?), esp if you're willing to do the work to get it going. We can offer some support too, but you should definitely invest in a service manual. If you have the time, I think its well worth it to you to learn about the bike as you put it together. I'd look first for the parts on various websites (google Partsfish to get estimates for what you're researching) and then decide if this is a good investment. It sounds like it would be a great learning experience whatever the financial case.

You still should take the MSF course if you haven't already

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 AM

I agree, for $500 you don't have much to lose, and if all it takes to get up and running is what you cite, then it would be a pretty good deal. The RF would be a good beginner bike for you.

They made the RF-600 from 1994-1996, which isn't a particularly long production run. They are relatively hard to find and so parts might be a bit tricky to get. However, E-bay and the 100's of online motorcycle salvage shops should be able to get you what you need. (google "motorcycle salvage") I would think you could score a used rear wheel for $100. A new rear tire is about $120.

Good luck!

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarret View Post
they guy just dropped it off, he took the back tire off to put on his other bike
now i dont know your friends, but it sounds like the stole it.... it might of had the rear tire locked down or sumthing... so they removed and scrapped the rear tire. is the rear rim totally gone?

suspicions aside, $500 is good, a 1996 rf600 goes for $$$.... idknow, but I wouldnt buy anything that old, IT'S 12 YEARS OLD!!!

"Every so often, I try to masturbate a large word into conversation, even if I'm not really sure what it means."
Not sure which one he is, but he's here
I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down.

Easy on the throttle, steady on the gears, roll her over gently and she'll last for many years.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 04:19 AM
Strength and Honor

Meh, I started on an '84 bike which was 20 years old. The best part about older bikes is that they're freakin' tanks. Not as fragile as our little works of art, which can be key for a new rider.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochoa0042 View Post
[SIZE="1"].... idknow, but I wouldnt buy anything that old, IT'S 12 YEARS OLD!!!

Hey man, I resemble that remark!

My bike is 15 years old, has 42,000+ miles and still runs like a Swiss watch. And I can still whip ass with it on squids with new bikes, so there.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 PM

QUOTE - Commedy Central Presents, Brian Ragan - The Epitome of Hyperbole, "I dont want to step on anyones beliefs........well.... here it goes"

"Every so often, I try to masturbate a large word into conversation, even if I'm not really sure what it means."
Not sure which one he is, but he's here
I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down.

Easy on the throttle, steady on the gears, roll her over gently and she'll last for many years.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochoa0042 View Post
QUOTE - Commedy Central Presents, Brian Ragan - The Epitome of Hyperbole, "I dont want to step on anyones beliefs........well.... here it goes"
Seriously, Ochoa, you bring up a good point about the stolen possibility. Might want to check that your friend has a clean title with that bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode