2008 Gsx-r1000 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
2008 Gsx-r1000

Has anybody had a chance to ride one of these (or even the '07)? I know a guy with an '07 that said he'd let me take it out sometime, but that probably won't be till next week. I've read the reviews and comparisons, and it seems to be a pretty solid bike (as I'd expect).

Thoughts or comments?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 08:45 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Did they change it significantly after the 06? I just took one of those for a ride a week or two ago. Damn nice bike, and power everywhere. It even fit my 6'2" 250 lb ass pretty well. Sadly I didn't get a long enough ride to do much though.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicersh View Post
Did they change it significantly after the 06? I just took one of those for a ride a week or two ago. Damn nice bike, and power everywhere. It even fit my 6'2" 250 lb ass pretty well. Sadly I didn't get a long enough ride to do much though.
I'm thinking that '07 is when they made some changes including the S-DMS. Or did the '06 have that as well? I can't remember when the did the last big revamp

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
07 1000

I rode the 07 gixxer. I thought it handled really well. its very windy out here and getting behind and passing semis on the interstate at +75mph it handled way better then my 1997 yzf1000r which I thought would be better considering its heavier. the selector switch made some differences in the different modes. but I thought it would be more of a change then there was. of course we are at 5000+ alt. dont know on an inj. bike how much that effects it compared to my carb. bike. I would definately consider buying one for my next bike. I liked it better then the R1 & ZX10 I have ridden it just fit me better. I thought it was very comfortable and I am a big guy 6'1" 300lbs
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

97yzfinwyo, thanks for the info. I'm not going to be making any moves until I get a chance to ride the '07. From what I understand, there were minimal changes between that and the '08.

-Will Rogers
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:18 AM

05/06 G1K vs. 07/08

There was a substantial change in the 07-08 bikes from the previous generation 05-06. The 07-08's are a redesign vs. the 05/06's, and have all new bodywork, a 4 into 2 exhaust system (due to Euro III emissions standards) and more weight. They all make about the same rear-wheel horsepower (approx 160). Some say that the 05-06's were the ones to have.

I rode an 05 at speed in the mountains. All I can say is- what a revelation compared to my old-school ZX-11. Riding the ZX-11 at an 8-9/10ths pace could be accomplished on the GSXR-1000 at 6/10's. Seriously, I felt that I could ride just as fast with SOOO much less effort. I think that to really push any late-model literbike would require a racetrack. They're level of performance far exceeds what you can possibly use on the street.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

ZX, thanks for the info. I was pretty sure that was the case with the 05/06 vs 07/08, but thanks for confirming it. I'll have to see what the weight difference is between the two designs. I'm not sure what all the Euro III affects, would installing a full system exhaust make a notable difference in weight?

-Will Rogers
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:09 AM

I think the weight difference between 05/06 vs. 07/08 is something in the neighborhood of 28-30 lbs. (about 440 lbs wet weight vs 470) A full pipe would make up a big chunk of that.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxrider View Post
I think the weight difference between 05/06 vs. 07/08 is something in the neighborhood of 28-30 lbs. (about 440 lbs wet weight vs 470) A full pipe would make up a big chunk of that.
Once I rip off some of the unnecessary stuff like the license plate bracket, passenger pegs, etc. I can probably make up most of the rest

-Will Rogers
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:52 PM

i've actually had the chance to ride the '08 GSX-R 1000 and i have to say it is one of the nicest bikes i've ever been on. i don't know much about the differences between the 05/06 models but compared to my buddies 03 i've ridden its a huge step up and blows it out of the water, especially when it came to handling. and as 97yzfinwyo was saying about the different modes, its a really nice touch by suzuki and would definitely take advantage of that if i had one, haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode