03+ SV650S Frame Sliders - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
03+ SV650S Frame Sliders

So, I ran a few quick searches but didn't turn up much info:

I have an 03 SV650S and I really would like to keep it nice and shiny. I want to pick up some frame sliders, but I'm not sure which direction I should go. It appears that most frame sliders come in between $55-80 and I have 2 options. The first option is to buy the frame sliders (which I always thought of as being traditional) where you get 2 "spools" and each bolts on its respective side. The only problem with this is that they are asymmetrical and I am just a little bit OCD and I suspect it might drive me batty. The *more expensive* alternative is the single-bolt frame sliders that say they go the full way through the frame and are called "pro" and claim to be stronger/better.

Does anyone have any experience or input into either? I'm only looking at the Delrin/Nylon spools since metal has a bad rep. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I have never had a nice enough bike to desire frame sliders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 AM

I researched this a while back, while buying sliders for a friend of mines first bike (wasnt that a nice "new bike" present?) I ended up with the single bolt sliders, I believe they were from motivation.
A few reasons. Yes they are pricey, but its only $40 difference. If a slider snaps off in a fall (which mine have on multiple occasions) there is a chance there will be a dent in a tank, and those are very expensive to fix. Also, a thru the frame slider has the least chance of bending your frame. The company also had some proprietary plastic that they made their sliders from, I dont know how necessary that is, but its impressive. Overall, I got the impression that they really put some thought and research into their product as oppose to just making something that looks alright.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Vash, thanks for your input! My hesitation with the single-bolt was that they are likely harder to install seeing as how you have to deal with removing the engine supports for those bolts and replace them. In addition, I was a little anxious about the idea that 1 drop on 1 side at stand still (as I hope never to try them at speed) would render the whole "set" useless.

I'm still shopping, though. Seeing as how I am sunburnt to a crisp, I won't be putting on any heavy gear any time soon, thus not riding. I guess I'll have plenty of time to read up on these things.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:43 AM
Strength and Honor

I got some Motovation sliders based on lots of reading. Still think they're the way to go but sounds like it might have been an easier install for the 636 vs the SV. As for single-use, my experience at a couple of track days suggests that's not true, organizations leave them on even after substantial wear-down of the slider puck

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 06:05 AM

The install was super easy. While you are removing engine mount bolts during the install, you are not letting the engine loose (its held in place by other mounts). Its a matter of taking some bolts out and putting the sliders in. The whole thing shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. Also, sliders shouldn't become useless after a drop. The plastic part usually gets some scratches, but if you can live with that, the set keeps on working. At speed they can snap off (any sliders, with single bolt having a much better chance not snapping off), which will require replacement. If your bike goes down in the grass, they will certainly snap off once the slider digs in the dirt. But a parking lot fall usually leaves a few very small scratches on the slider, you have to really look for them to tell. Also, they should sell replacement parts, so you wont have to buy a whole new set.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! You've really put my mind at ease. I think my (OCD) mind is sold on the single-bolt. I like matching.

Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode