Chain Tension - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Chain Tension

I have a 95 RF600R with a RF900R Rear swing arm assy. These parts are interchangeable because the 900 and the 600 have the same frame.

I am having a tough time keeping my chain tight. I usually only like to have about 1/2 to 1 inch of slack in my chain. I can't stand it when it gets too much slack because I don't like the lag on accelleration and de-accelleration you get when it's too loose.

I will adjust my chain the way I like it. Then when I take off and start riding, it either gets too tight or after just a few minutes it's way too loose....

I am definately making sure that the through bolt is tight with the cotter pin in to make sure it doesn't back off and I make sure that the adjustment screws on eash side of the swing arm are tight so that they hold the rear axle centered and don't back off....so WTF?

I refuse to believe that the chain is stretching that fast. And what about the times where it suddenly gets too tight? I definately know the chain is not shrinking!!!

The only thing I can determine is that the rear swing arm may possibly be shifting where it attaches to the frame. I can't seem to find anything thats loose. Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:28 AM

You are over tightening your chain. If you adjust your chain so you have 1/2" slack on it while it's sitting on the side stand, it's almost definitely getting pinched tight when you sit on it - particularly when you are riding. This will cause rapid wear and elongation of the bearing surfaces. Your chain isn't actually stretching, it's just wearing at a very rapid rate.

I destroyed the first chain on my gsxr doing just that - I would tighten it to the spec (0.8 - 1.2 inches) while it was sitting on the side stand and it would just "stretch" constantly, until the links started seizing up. Now I run my chain looser than spec, and I don't have to tighten in periodically at all.

This is a common problem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:20 PM

To add, your chain has tight and loose spots, you need to make sure you are measuring the tightest spot. It should touch your swing arm.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 PM

When you change componets around, the best way to make sure the chain is adjusted properly, you want to make sure that you line up the centers of the front sprocket, swing pivot and rear sprocket so they are in a straight line.

This will be the point that your chain will be the tightest. Now you want to find the tightest point in the chain and adjust the chain until you have about 1/2" slack in the middle. Now let the bike set like it is on the side stand and not compressed and measure. This will give you the slack you need to set it at with the bike in this position.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:28 AM

If my 2 cents count for anything, I run mine on the loose side to ensure it doesn't create tension during hard acceleration or high speeds. I think .5in. may be a little on the tight side. And if you find any tight spots, clean your chain; if they don't come out, you are in the market for a new chain.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toystore View Post
If my 2 cents count for anything, I run mine on the loose side to ensure it doesn't create tension during hard acceleration or high speeds. I think .5in. may be a little on the tight side. And if you find any tight spots, clean your chain; if they don't come out, you are in the market for a new chain.
Hey Toystore,

You are good in saying on the loose side. The following way is if you change anything with the rear that can affect the chain tension. So the .5 I am refering to is when you have your suspension compressed so that a center line from the front drive sprocket, swing arm pivot point and rear sprocket are in a straight line. This is the furthest (longest) point in which the chain will be in the swingarm arc.

Once you have this point, then go to the tightest point in the chain. By giving .5" here you are allowing enough play in the chain with out being to tight or giving to much play.

Then once you have this, you release the suspension so it is setting like you would normally adjust the chain and see how much play you have at the tightest point in the chain and you now have a good place to set it. If you need a little more play, that is fine as long as it is not to much.

If you have to much, you can get chain whip, which can sometimes be almost as bad as to tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode