recovered stolen 03 gixxer! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

recovered stolen 03 gixxer!

my bike got stolen like a month ago and i found the guys who stole it, needless to say i have it back, its been painted red but i got it back,but they erased the vin numbers, well atleast they took the plate in the front and also i dont see any vin in the chassis, my question is i dont think they messed with the engine is the vin number also somehwhere in the engine that i can use toprove its mine????

GSX-R 600 alstare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:12 PM

The VIN should be stamped on the steering head stock either by or on the other side of where the plate was. They would have to do a lot of grinding to remove that.

The only number on the engine will be the Engine Serial Number. You might check your registration or title - they might have possibly recorded the ESN depending on your State, but Suzuki doesn't cross reference VIN's and ESN's at the factory (few manufacturers do.)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:06 PM

Good luck to you. I hope it really is yours. That would be one more stolen bike that ends in a happy ending.

I'm rooting for you! And I hope you gave the guys hell.

She's Found! Now I just hope I can restore her to her former glory...

Theres never weather bad enough to stop riding.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:34 PM

Did the cops find it? Then they should have the proof. If you found it yourself & claimed it-----------well hope you can find what is needed to make sure it is legally yours.

Bummer of a deal anyway in a stolen bike & then all the ruddy red-tape paperwork.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The VIN should be stamped on the steering head stock either by or on the other side of where the plate

i dont get it, u mean between the forks??

i did;tupdate my profile i guess, but im in the dominican republic, i live here now, and when i brought my bike down here u turn in your US title at the docking port and they give u a dominican title and it dosent have a engine number on it, and as far as it its mine, there is no doubt about it, first the key fits, it has all the scrtches on the headlights that my bike has, and on the side i forget the thing what its called but its a black steel plate cover on the side of the engine, that i dropped the bike once and it was grinded down, and it still has that, not to mention that my cluth handle was broker in half and im missing one of thelefthandles black screw in thingy, anyway i dit;t have time to get a good look around the bike since i ben working alot latelley but im going back to my aunts house where its at right now to check things out, but from when i last looked at it the plate where thvin was at under the windshield was gone and on the frame from what was visible i could;t see anyvin numbers and it looks polished up like if they had scrthed it or sanded it down and painted it, but i need tofind something that links it to my title

GSX-R 600 alstare
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 04:09 AM
Strength and Honor

Isn't it illegal in the Dominican to have a vehicle with no VIN plate on it? I'd put it simply to them: either give it back, including VIN plate or the police will be making a visit.

And then I'd secretly go to work on them after waiting a suitable period

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 AM

It sounds like they may have ground the stamped VIN off. Do you have the original bill of sale, or could you possibly get a copy of it? That might have the engine serial number on it.

Crime labs can sometimes recover ground-off VIN's and serial numbers by using an acid treatment. I doubt you will be able to get that done down there, but you might do a google search to see if you can find the procedure, and you might be able to do it yourself.

The stamped VIN on my bike (05) is located on the right front side of the steering head tube, about 2 o'clock on a raised metal portion (the VIN plate is on the other side, about 9 o'clock.)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Isn't it illegal in the Dominican to have a vehicle with no VIN plate on it?
yes but there are very littlesport bikes here and the ones that have them are only rich people becasue those bikes over here are more expensive than in the states,for example my 03 gixxer 600 here i can sell for 180,000 pesos, 33 pesos is 1 dollars, u dothe math

well they were riding with the bike with nolicense plate and no vin numbers on it, they just assumed they would never get pulled over and tobe honest guys with bikeslike that around here dont getpulles over becasue cops know they probably have alot ofmoney and will buy there way out of any situation or ticket, which is the way it works down here.

i spoke to a military guy that works in my job and he is taking metothe place wherestolen vehicles are recovered and he said that they can do that acid thing torecover the vin number, im just gonna have topay off the guys whodothat to dome the favor since insurance wont pay for it.

anyways it would be nice though to be able to find thew vin number soi wont have to do that, i still havent gone to the bike yet as i ben having to work all week to make up forlost hours, i just wanttomake sure imlooking in the right place for that vin number becasue last timei was with the bike i did;t have enough timeto check it thru properley,is that vin on the steering block easily visible?is it under the key ignition?

GSX-R 600 alstare
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 08:34 AM

It's easily visible, to the right of the key lock when the bars are in the locked position.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Not being in the USA & now living in The Dominican Republic ---- well it is a different world to most of us. Doubt if the chaps can help you more then they have.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode