05 Gsxr 1000 Shakes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

05 Gsxr 1000 Shakes

I just replaced the stock tires on my bike with Michelin pilot powers. Same size as stock. I had the tires static balanced and after I put the wheels back on the bike I noticed at around 100mph the front of the bike vibrates. I removed the wheels and had them spun balanced but this made no difference. When I lifted the bike to remove the wheels I put a long bolt thru the steering head bolt with a hook on top to lift the front end. Is there anyway that could have caused a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 07:00 AM

It should not have caused a problem, all the same you likely have either an alignment problem and/or a worn or loose steering head that didn't show up until you put on some new tires (or pushed the bike, testing out your new tires.)

What model/year of bike do you have?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

I have an 05 gsxr1000. I put the front tire on a wall and pushed the bars to feel for loose bearings but everything felt tight. The bike is dead solid till this speed. I put about 350 miles on it on Sunday and it still feels this way. How would you recommend checking for the alignment problem?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:02 PM

Steering head bearings, unfortunately, can be bad even if they seem solid - you pretty much have to jack the front end up and take the weight off to check. But, an 05 shouldn't have that problem yet unless you put a ton of miles on it and really thrashed it.

With respect to alignment, I don't know of a good way to check it yourself - shops have alignment jigs that they use for getting the forks straight. Odd wear patterns on the wheels (uneven, or cupping) are indications of a bad front end alignment.

Other causes of shaking can be uneven front suspension settings, or uneven fork oil levels. Also, check your tire inflation as well - raise it or lower it, and see if it does the same thing.

And, it could just be plain speed wobbles. The profile of the PP's cause a quicker turn-in, so I guess they could be more prone to speed wobbles than your previous set - that would be a steering damper issue. I run PP's too, and my bike is rock solid all the way to 170 mph.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

That was super info. I made an appointment for Friday the 30th to have steel brake lines installed. I am also going to print out your post and have them check your suggestions. I am going to deals gap in May and this problem must be corrected.

Again,THANK YOU
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:03 AM

No problem - good luck and let us know how things worked out.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

OK! Here is the skinny on the shake. First, when I tightened all the screws with the bike in the air that was WRONG. The dealer put the weight on the suspension and that compresses the suspension so the axel is parallel or square to the bike. Then all screws are tightened. Also, my top clickers were turned all the way out to full hard .I only weigh 165lbs and am just a hair above an average sport bike rider. They screwed them in to 6 clicks out. After all this was done the bike feels great. And WOW it really does turn much quicker. I found myself having to re-adjust midcorner cause I was too far inside. The brakes are a little touchy, Not sure if I like that or not.

Mister Tee
The Dealer said you gave me very good suggestions and reading what I wrote and what you wrote in reply lead them to the problem with almost no labor charge to me. They cannot ride customerís bikes over the speed limit, therefore in the case of a high speed head shake problem, they would normally have to disassemble and check part by part.
If you were a few thousand miles closer I would buy you a beer!

Last edited by updated; 03-30-2007 at 12:19 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 09:29 AM

Glad to hear things worked out - I'll take you up on that beer if I ever get out that way.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by updated
OK! Here is the skinny on the shake. First, when I tightened all the screws with the bike in the air that was WRONG. The dealer put the weight on the suspension and that compresses the suspension so the axel is parallel or square to the bike. Then all screws are tightened. Also, my top clickers were turned all the way out to full hard .I only weigh 165lbs and am just a hair above an average sport bike rider. They screwed them in to 6 clicks out. After all this was done the bike feels great. And WOW it really does turn much quicker. I found myself having to re-adjust midcorner cause I was too far inside. The brakes are a little touchy, Not sure if I like that or not.

Mister Tee
The Dealer said you gave me very good suggestions and reading what I wrote and what you wrote in reply lead them to the problem with almost no labor charge to me. They cannot ride customerís bikes over the speed limit, therefore in the case of a high speed head shake problem, they would normally have to disassemble and check part by part.
If you were a few thousand miles closer I would buy you a beer!
go to sportrider.com and start with the suspension set to their recommendations then move from there.. that will make a huge difference

04' Gsxr 1k

Show or go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode