Gas Mileage? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Gas Mileage?

I'm really interested to find out what the gas mileage on my '06 gixxer 600 is... I noticed the gas light came on really fast after filling up for the first time, so i used the trip meter on the 2nd take. I only got 96 miles when it came back on!! This is kind of crazy...i'm assuming they just have it programmed early, but 96 miles?! My F4i was good for about 180 miles or so on a full tank.

2006 GSX-R600(lowjack/beretta secured), 2003 CBR600F4i(stolen and recover)

Last edited by FloridaMx5; 01-16-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:44 AM

Is the 96 highway miles, or 96 first gear wheelie miles?

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Dad

... and how many gallons did it take? As asked, it sounds more like a range question than mileage one.

How you're running the bike makes a big difference. On the same bike, I can go from 45 HWY to the twenties on the track.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:03 AM

For some odd reason, I don't know why, I've been getting mileage in the high '40's (nearly 50 mpg on one long ride) on my 05 750 this last Summer, but for some reason my Winter mileage really sucks! (below 40.) I don't know if it's the gas or what - I just replaced the air filter and the plugs are fine.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Tee
For some odd reason, I don't know why, I've been getting mileage in the high '40's (nearly 50 mpg on one long ride) on my 05 750 this last Summer, but for some reason my Winter mileage really sucks! (below 40.) I don't know if it's the gas or what - I just replaced the air filter and the plugs are fine.
Motorcycles run on an open loop system, in other words, there is no oxygen sensor in the exhaust to determine how complete the combustion was, and adjust fuel accordingly. Therefor the main determining factor in how much fuel your engine is getting is how much air its breathing.
The way the ECU measures airflow is pretty simple. A hot filament (sometimes wire, sometimes grid) is placed somewhere in the air intake. This filament has a set ammount of current flowing thru it, that is heating it up. Also, the filament is made out of a material that changes its electrical resistance based on its temperature (all materials actually do that, but thats not the point). The filament is cooled by the air thats passes over it on its way to the engine. Since the filament is heated at the same rate, if you measure its temperature (by its resistance) its possible to tell how much this filament is cooled, and therefor how much air is flowing past it. In theory. There are however some limitations. While the ammount of air is the most determining factor, the air temperature also plays a role. Since the ECU has no way of knowing what the air temperature is, it simply assumes a certain temperature. This assumed temp. is set to somewhere which is considered ideal, in other words, summer, when most people ride their bikes. When the air it too cold, the system doesnt work as well.
There are other factors as well. Fuel is denser when its cold, but ecu measures the volume of fuel injected into the cylinde (Actually it keeps a constant pressure, and measures the pulse duration). Thus the engine shoots more fuel (since its denser) to mix with colder, denser air, which is improperly measured.

One thing that cold is nice about, is the crisper throttle responce that it brings along.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 12:39 PM

I understand how the fuel is controlled - but Suzuki does in fact utilize an inlet air temperature sensor that is tied into the ECU on these bikes, so I would think the air density would be appropriately compensated for. But I get your point and I'm sure that the system isn't perfect.

We do have different gas formulations here in California for Summer and Winter though, and I'm wondering if that could play a role as well.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 06:00 PM

sorry for all the double posts, my girlfriends comp sucks--

Last edited by skiddy; 01-19-2007 at 06:06 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 06:00 PM

read below (sorry again for multiple posts)

l
l
l
v

Last edited by skiddy; 01-19-2007 at 06:07 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 06:04 PM

i have an 06 gsxr 600 too.
the gas light is a 2 - stage light
it will begin to blink when you have approx 1.0 gal. of gas left, and then will stay lit with approx. 0.3 gal. of gas left
(and that's excluding your reserve i think)

so really you don't need to fill up until the light stays lit. and watch when you fill up to see how much it held. the tank is a 4.9 gal tank i believe, so if you're only able to put in 3 gal. then you know you still had quite a bit of gas left.

and a few times i've ridden my bike quite a lot of miles after the light had stayed lit

can't help you with the gas mileage because it depends on so many things, unless i knew your driving conditions, etc.

but expect about 35-40 miles per gal. on the bike

hope i helped,
kevin
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 10:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to GrCh35 Send a message via Yahoo to GrCh35
I have an 04 1k & I get to a full tank about 180 miles & that's not pushing the bike.

There's 2 type of riders, the 1's that have gone down & the 1's that are going down. I've been down, which one are you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode