the 07 gsxr 600 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SC
Posts: 3
the 07 gsxr 600

what is you alls opinion on the 07 gsxr 600? i was reading in another forums about some poeple not liking it as much compared to prior years. i am looking into getting on soon and if there is something not so good with the newer ones then then i dont want to walk into a headache. the main reason i am looking at getting a new one is because there are better finance options, so let me know what yall think about these bikes.

thanks in advance.
Travisl1213 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Registered User
 
zxrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Aurora, CO USA 80013
Posts: 1,346
Rule number one regarding sportbike development: The new version is always faster, lighter, quicker, and more powerful than the previous version.

Styling of course is subjective, which is what I'm guessing those other folks were talking about. Perhaps they don't like the styling of the new (06+) GSXR 600, which is a lot different than it was previously. Personally, I think it looks great.

All that being said, if you're a first time rider, a brand new 600 supersport of any brand is a bad choice as a beginner bike.
zxrider is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Registered User
 
FloridaMx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
Rule number one regarding sportbike development: The new version is always faster, lighter, quicker, and more powerful than the previous version.

Styling of course is subjective, which is what I'm guessing those other folks were talking about. Perhaps they don't like the styling of the new (06+) GSXR 600, which is a lot different than it was previously. Personally, I think it looks great.

All that being said, if you're a first time rider, a brand new 600 supersport of any brand is a bad choice as a beginner bike.
+1 on not getting a new gixxer as a first bike. I started out with an '03 F4i and just bought an '06 gixxer6 yesterday(F4i just got stolen).

I absolutely love the gixxer! I'd say the '06 is a step up from the '05 just because the added a slipper clutch. It's a great bike but I wouldn't have wanted to start out on it. Power is way up from my F4i. Also not near as comfortable. Handling is better and also the front end will come up a lot easier! But it's not a problem at all. So far I haven't had it come up unless I clutched it.
FloridaMx5 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bonner Springs KS 66012
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaMx5
+1 on not getting a new gixxer as a first bike. I started out with an '03 F4i and just bought an '06 gixxer6 yesterday(F4i just got stolen).

I absolutely love the gixxer! I'd say the '06 is a step up from the '05 just because the added a slipper clutch. It's a great bike but I wouldn't have wanted to start out on it. Power is way up from my F4i. Also not near as comfortable. Handling is better and also the front end will come up a lot easier! But it's not a problem at all. So far I haven't had it come up unless I clutched it.
Even the 750 won't come up without the clutch. Both 600 and 750 are geared really tall. Pinning it from idle in 1st will get the front light, but it won't come up. Inconvenient if you like to wheelie, pretty nice if you want to go fast and not worry about it lifting.

My 750 is my second bike. If I'd started on it I'd definitely have totaled it and probably killed myself. These bikes will hurt you if you aren't cautious.

KC area

06 GSX-R 750
82 Yamaha XJ650
Whitebread is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Registered User
 
Vash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sweetwater, TX, 79556
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally posted by Whitebread
Even the 750 won't come up without the clutch. Both 600 and 750 are geared really tall. Pinning it from idle in 1st will get the front light, but it won't come up. Inconvenient if you like to wheelie, pretty nice if you want to go fast and not worry about it lifting.

My 750 is my second bike. If I'd started on it I'd definitely have totaled it and probably killed myself. These bikes will hurt you if you aren't cautious.

1. Yes it will. In fact, just about any 2000+ 600 will come up off the throttle alone. You arent doing it right, and thats not the bikes fault.

2. If you want to do some good wheelies, use the clutch. It maybe a touch harder to figure out at first, but it offers much better control, and a lower chance of looping it.




-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vash is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA USA 96814
Posts: 369
I don't mind the styling of the 06/07 gsxr's, but what I don't like about them is the ergonomics. I'm 6'-0" and 190 lbs, and I just feel cramped on them. The 1000 feels a tad better. If I were to get another sportbike today, I'd probably look at an R1 or a 1000RR.

The CBR is actually fairly comfy to me, as sportbikes go. I don't feel compelled to go to a 1K just to be bigger and better (I think 750's are the perfect sportbike) but that's not an option with either a Honda or Yamaha.

The bottom line is you need some experience sitting on and riding these things to make the best choice - some bikes fit and work better for certain people than others. Mechanically, they are all very similar and share common components like forks and brakes, so it's tough to say one make is "better" than the others.

As far as first bikes though, that is a subject that is covered and debated a lot, and you should read a lot of the threads regarding it if it is your first. If you do start with something smaller and used to get some experience, you will be ahead of the game when you do get your first sportbike, and you will have a better idea what you should be looking for.
Mister Tee is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Registered User
 
FloridaMx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
1. Yes it will. In fact, just about any 2000+ 600 will come up off the throttle alone. You arent doing it right, and thats not the bikes fault.

2. If you want to do some good wheelies, use the clutch. It maybe a touch harder to figure out at first, but it offers much better control, and a lower chance of looping it.
That's what i figured...i know i should be able to power it up but haven't had it happen? I probably won't even try it, but what exactly is the correct way to power-wheelie a 600?...does it require a jerk up on the handlebars? I've heard you can do it by going off the throttle quick and then right back on it? Also heard this was pretty hard the bike...

2006 GSX-R600(lowjack/beretta secured), 2003 CBR600F4i(stolen and recover)
FloridaMx5 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:39 AM
Registered User
 
Vash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sweetwater, TX, 79556
Posts: 8,798
on a streight road, in first gear, run it to about 10krpm (or more if you are brave). Put your foot on the rear brake, sit back in your seat, lean back, close the throttle, you will feel the bike begin to slow down and transfer weight, right as it bottoms the front open the throttle all the way.




-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vash is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 03:42 AM
Registered User
 
FloridaMx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
on a streight road, in first gear, run it to about 10krpm (or more if you are brave). Put your foot on the rear brake, sit back in your seat, lean back, close the throttle, you will feel the bike begin to slow down and transfer weight, right as it bottoms the front open the throttle all the way.

Edit: I'm changing "I probably won't even try it," to no way in hell will i ever try it! LOL

2006 GSX-R600(lowjack/beretta secured), 2003 CBR600F4i(stolen and recover)
FloridaMx5 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bonner Springs KS 66012
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaMx5
Edit: I'm changing "I probably won't even try it," to no way in hell will i ever try it! LOL

x2. Redline in first is about 96mph for me, so 10k is around 60-70mph- that's a pretty good wreck if you f*ck up. I'll stick to clutching it at slower speeds.

If it requires suspension rebound or the clutch to lift the front, that to me qualifies as won't power wheelie. But to each his own.

KC area

06 GSX-R 750
82 Yamaha XJ650
Whitebread is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome