Need help from other 06 GSXR600/750 Owners - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Need help from other 06 GSXR600/750 Owners

OK, here's the issue. At slow speeds, around 35 to 40 mph in 3rd gear, when I let off the throttle to slow just one to two mph it feels like the throttle bodies are shutting closed. The bike pitches foward enough to slam my passenge into me. The bike also does not do this when it is cold. Once it warms up the lurching starts. I thought it might be throttle control, but I am only moving the throttle mear millimeters. The dealer says its the slipper clutch. But my understanding of the slipper clutch is that it kicks in when down shifting from higher speeds. Not letting off the throttle. Is that correct? Has anyone else dealt with the lurching? I love the bike, but this makes it very distracting to ride. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 04:53 PM

Re: Need help from other 06 GSXR600/750 Owners

Quote:
Originally posted by ectrahan
OK, here's the issue. At slow speeds, around 35 to 40 mph in 3rd gear, when I let off the throttle to slow just one to two mph it feels like the throttle bodies are shutting closed. The bike pitches foward enough to slam my passenge into me. The bike also does not do this when it is cold. Once it warms up the lurching starts. I thought it might be throttle control, but I am only moving the throttle mear millimeters. The dealer says its the slipper clutch. But my understanding of the slipper clutch is that it kicks in when down shifting from higher speeds. Not letting off the throttle. Is that correct? Has anyone else dealt with the lurching? I love the bike, but this makes it very distracting to ride. Thanks for any help.

They feel like they're closing off because they pretty well are. 35 in 3rd can't be much more than 2000 rpm. You're basically idling in gear.

In town, I cruise in 2nd from 30 to 50. This keeps the revs in the 3-5k range which makes for a much less abrubt throttle. The bike doesn't really begin to open up on fuel delivery until you get above 4k, with no real power under 6k.

KC area

06 GSX-R 750
82 Yamaha XJ650

Last edited by Whitebread; 03-13-2007 at 04:56 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 08:28 PM

Re: Need help from other 06 GSXR600/750 Owners

Quote:
Originally posted by ectrahan
Well first off, as Whitebread said, 35-40 is a little slow to be riding around in 3rd gear... I'd say if i'm just cruising around, i'm in 2nd up til around 50 as well. But it's completely dependent on RPM's.

Anyways....yes i do feel that lurch sometimes when getting off the throttle. Most noticeably when RPM's are between 4500 and 6000. I guess because like Whitebreak said, this is a point where the fuel maps are turning more aggressive. Are you new too riding? This is something i noticed when i first started out on my f4i...as you get more comfortable with you're bike, you will be able to better control that last 1/4" of throttle between open and closed. Just takes some familiarity with your bike.

2006 GSX-R600(lowjack/beretta secured), 2003 CBR600F4i(stolen and recover)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Need help from other 06 GSXR600/750 Owners

Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaMx5
Well first off, as Whitebread said, 35-40 is a little slow to be riding around in 3rd gear... I'd say if i'm just cruising around, i'm in 2nd up til around 50 as well. But it's completely dependent on RPM's.

Anyways....yes i do feel that lurch sometimes when getting off the throttle. Most noticeably when RPM's are between 4500 and 6000. I guess because like Whitebreak said, this is a point where the fuel maps are turning more aggressive. Are you new too riding? This is something i noticed when i first started out on my f4i...as you get more comfortable with you're bike, you will be able to better control that last 1/4" of throttle between open and closed. Just takes some familiarity with your bike.
Well I have been checking the other GSXR specific sites and found a lot more about this. The most common problem is the oil level may be too high. I guess it is messing with the slipper clutch. My oil is above the notch. I am due an oil change so I will post a reply after that. And by the way, I am not a new rider. This is my third bike and I have about 10 years under my belt. And 1/4 throttle is not even close to how much I am moving. We are talking about milimeters, just enought to slow about 1 or 2 mph. Check some other sites and read the other post. Thanks for you replys though.

Following is not easy, but sometimes necessary.
Certified MSF Rider Coach
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Here's the results of the oil change. No more herky jerky throttle. So far that was it. And just to let you know at 35 in 3rd gear the bike is at about 3500 to 4000 rpm. I ride a sportbike not a cruiser.

Following is not easy, but sometimes necessary.
Certified MSF Rider Coach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode