Katana Mods - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Question

Well, avoiding the katana bashing thread here, could I ask a question for those of you with a Kat and that have done upgrades to it? I love the comforate of the kat, but would little more juice to it. I have a stock 93' 600 right now, what can be done to give it a few more hp without breaking the bank?

Thanks, all intelligent replies appreciated.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 04:54 PM

Welcome,

I think that the easiest way to increase performance and least expensive way is to change your sprockets. Go down 1 tooth on the front and go up 3 teeth on the rear. It will make the bike ride totally different. Next step would be a slip-on or full exhaust system. If you do the full exhaust, you will also need to rejet the carbs. Another thing that can be done, is to check around with the cycle salvage shops and buy a newer 600cc motor and replace your older one. It might be cheaper than you think.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
40 tickets now. I need a Hayabusa!
I'm a bird watcher and I'm looking for a Big Breasted Bed Thrasher, have you seen one?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 05:01 PM
Resident Smartass

Don't shoot- I come in peace!!!
I'd suggest only going up on the rear sprocket, not changing both (smaller front wears chain out and may cause clearance problems like dragging on swingarm). If the budget is super tight a 1 tooth smaller front will be ok, but if you're changing both out, only go up on the rear.
A slip-on and rejet are the next steps, but again for a super low budget try gutting the stock pipes first along with jetting and maybe some extra holes in the airbox.

------------------
Heeeere piggy piggy...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 06:58 PM

Thumbs up

Hello and welcome to the KatClub! I understand your question. What I'm curious about is the "without breaking the bank" statement. Do you mean less than $100? $500? Personally, (and I own a Kat) I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on a 7-year old bike. This is not a cut!! I love my Kat. It's a 3 year old bike, and I've already spent approximately $500 on performance mods. (Not to mention the $50 for the super cool smoked-out windscreen, which adds 5 horsepower ) I've got a full exhaust system, different carb needles and an ignition advancer. They've helped a whole lot, as far as performance is concerned, but in retrospect, I'll never see a penny of all that money when it comes time to sell it.

If I was in your shoes, I'd go up three teeth on the rear sprocket. Get a complete tune-up. Valve adjustment, plugs, carb sync, and go have a whole lotta fun. If you happen to have the $400 or so for a complete exhaust system, I'd sell the bike and use the $400 as part of the down payment for a newer bike. I say this because I know that my bike is no longer worth (to the damn insurance company) what I've put into it. Too many folks underestimate Katanas. No, they aren't Gixxers. Don't get me wrong, a Gixxer is my next bike, but let's face it; most ( maybe 70%?) of all Gixxer riders aren't man enough to admit that they don't have the ability to access all of the Gixxer's potential. Heck, I've been riding on and off for 16 years and in my opinion, have only maxed out my bike's capabilities maybe a handful of times! I smoke people in the twisties, but get beaten, sometimes badly on the straights, so folks assume that the Kat is a dud. I know better. Enjoy your bike, it's a good one! Cheers!

------------------
Cosmo
"You have some options to choose from: You can lead, you can follow, or you can get out of the way!"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2000, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the posts. As it turns out it seems like the most common suggestion is to go up a few teeth on the rear. I'll give this a shot and see if I notice anything I'm *very* new to performance mods of any sort so this will be a good first time. BTW - does this have a huge impact on chain expectancy? (-20% etc?)

Side note for Cosmo, breaking the bank would be more then 500. I see you point, however, and the majority of that money would go a fair ways in the purchase of a new bike. With the risk of getting booted to another board, I've had a fancy for the F4, it seems fairly fitting for me considering my freakish height (6' 6")

------------------
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2000, 02:32 AM
Squidwannabe

Older gsxr1100 engine fits .....

------------------
Im not a Squid, I just play one on T.V.

Adam
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2000, 04:20 PM

Talking

Probis:

Having a real good tune-up is amazing!!I really noticed a BIG difference!That's a good starting point.I have found out that slip ons for our model are a very rare thing;all I found were Cobra-F-1s,and I was for sure not interested in those!
I just ordered a Yoshimura Zyclone,a jet kit and I have a K&N air filter for the stock air box. I should have it all up and running by mid November.Stay tuned for that and feel free to Email me if u have any questions!

JIM

P.S. I know this is not a "budget" hop-up,but I did shop around and found this the best bang for my buck!

------------------
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left!!

[This message has been edited by katana600 (edited October 20, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode